Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 PM

Default I just raise/folded my flush on the turn. Wow.

I don't have a great read on my opponent as this is just my third hand at the table. The hand before this I saw him limp Q9o UTG+1 and check call another limper the whole way down on a Q high dry board. Pretty passive, it appears. The hand I'm about to show you vexes me.

Hero is on the button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG (villain) raises, 2 folds, MP calls, 1 fold, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls

Flop (5 players, 10 SB):

K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, Villain bets, MP calls, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls

Turn (4 players, 7 BB)

9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, Villain bets, MP calls, Hero raises, BB folds, Villain threetowns, MP folds, Hero goes into the tank and folds

In my analysis, I can't imagine an opponent that played the previous hand the way he did would three bet something on the turn that I beat. The biggest reason I folded was that I was no longer drawing; my hand could only get worse.

Flame away.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: I just raise/folded my flush on the turn. Wow.

I raise the flop. Equity-wise it's probably a little worse than break-even but at my table I usually get the free card on the turn if I need it.

I think the only time I've thrown a flush away is on a four flush board or a double paired board with obvious action. However, I certainly see why you would here. Gonna have to call 2 bets to make 14? Ug, I wish I was a good poker and could throw this away, but I'm not.

GcluelessnoobG
Old 10-15-2007, 05:51 PM

i think we'll see A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Ax or A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Kx more than once in 7.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the flop. Equity-wise it's probably a little worse than break-even but at my table I usually get the free card on the turn if I need it.

I think the only time I've thrown a flush away is on a four flush board or a double paired board with obvious action. However, I certainly see why you would here. Gonna have to call 2 bets to make 14? Ug, I wish I was a good poker and could throw this away, but I'm not.

GcluelessnoobG

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not good at the pokers. I suck. But the rationale is there.

I'm not sure about raising the flop. It occured to me at the time but I thought it was really, really close and in the heat of battle...

I would have definitely raised a pair and the draw or a combo draw like the flush draw and a gutshot.

James. Given the way he played the previous hand do you think he would threebang that dangerous a card with just the pair and the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? This was the first thing I considered when I thought about it but I concluded he was too passive. If you're in his shoes with the AA[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K, and the 9 pairs while bringing the flush and you get raised, don't you have to assume that you're pretty much always way behind? That's why I think his threebet is so strong.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM

Fold preflop.

Flop is close between raising for a free card and just calling.

Folding the turn is bloody terrible.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 PM

I do this all the time...and I'm not talking about throwing away flushes. I'm talking about over-analyzing plays and players and getting yourself into a mode of putting a player on exactly 1 certain hand. When I sit at a LIVE table, I think of everyone else as pretty much terrible degenerate gamblers.

My motto, which actually has worked out in the long run is "when in doubt, be a calling station." Overthinking yourself in these situations tends to be -EV and put you on tilt.

I def. go into call down mode unless board double pairs or brings another club...maybe.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 PM

I think we'd like a few more callers before you even on the button to think about coldcalling PF here wouldn't you?

As played I favor a flop raise here instead of call. Call the turn.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we'd like a few more callers before you even on the button to think about coldcalling PF here wouldn't you?

As played I favor a flop raise here instead of call. Call the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I'm fourth in, BB sucks. Five handed no goot?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:30 PM

I fold pf. Not sure if it's right, but that's what I do.

I call the flop, just as you did. I don't want to blow out anyone on this hand with the exception of a lone high club. Free card play I suppose is valid as well...either way.

Turn I raise/call and river I call. You're obviously in trouble here, but you still win more than 1 in 7 I think.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM

I agree fold preflop. Are you an action junkie as this is only your third hand at a new table. There is no need to gamble with 76s just yet or hardly ever in this position. Then all your problems with this hand are gone.
Now either he has Ks full or AA with the good A. so 1 hand beats you the other is drawing. Call down and take your meds if he has KK.