Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 11:41 AM

Default have i set this up to fire the river?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t10755)
SB (t17358)
BB (t10950)
UTG (t24251)
UTG+1 (t5000)
MP1 (t8850)
MP2 (t8000)
Hero (t11891)
CO (t4850)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls t450.

Flop: (t1425) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t1425) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t750</font>, MP1 calls t600.

River: (t2925) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?
[

i checked the flop bc i felt a c-bet wasn't going to work on this board often enough. his turn bet was weak garbage so i decided to put some pressure on. i decided i have ak now. now should i bet the river ? how much? is this a decent play?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: have i set this up to fire the river?

His turn bet is retarded. I see this a lot -- as a blocker bet for a draw, middle pair, the NUTZ, etc. Have you seen Villain make chicken-[censored] bets like this before? If so, what was he showing up with?

If you bet, I'd bet something like 2000.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:11 PM

I'd rather raise turn to a decent amount, say 1.25K, &amp; give up if called. Risk less in total &amp; I think you have as much FE. I don't like the size of your turn raise, 600 more for him to call, into 1725 even before your extra 600. As played I think I bluff river because he 3-bets monsters on the turn, say 2200.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:36 PM

One thing outside the hand itself to consider is simply the point in the tournament. Do you want to put a bunch of chips into the pot at this stage against someone who'll call with a wide range of hands this far out? I don't know about that.

Did you have any reads in this guy? When I see the weak, 'not going to drive anyone out' turn bet, the read is so important. We all know players that will do this with monsters or do this because they're inexperienced and believe any bet will pick up the pot (after all, a K did hit the turn!).

Him calling your raise on the turn probably means he doesn't have nothing at all. So you have a couple of options:

1. Check and give it up. Not so bad, since you haven't put a lot into the pot, you'll get the information of what hand he played this way, and doesn't affect your tournament standing too much either way (you don't have to win EVERY pot you enter), or

2. Bet, like pokerfarian says, around 2200 - pot size, which will be around a third of his remaining stack. Again, the read with this option becomes important.

Personally, I don't mind giving up the pot at this stage of the tournament if I don't have a good enough read to say one way or the other the likelihood of him calling. I still get the info on what the hell that turn bet meant.

How'd it play out?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM

i saw no mini bets like this from opponent bc thas something i put in notes all the time especiallly if they get raised i always put how they react
Old 11-12-2007, 12:53 PM

i fired 2500 into the pot and he folded.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather raise turn to a decent amount, say 1.25K, &amp; give up if called. Risk less in total &amp; I think you have as much FE. I don't like the size of your turn raise, 600 more for him to call, into 1725 even before your extra 600. As played I think I bluff river because he 3-bets monsters on the turn, say 2200.

[/ QUOTE ]

i also want to respond to pokerfarian about raising more on the turn. actually i purposely raised less. if he's trapping w a very good hand he'll now reraise and i can fold losing a lesser amount. if he had nothing at all he'll fold. if he has something but nothing great he'll call looking for a showdown he's not going to get. i actually make more by betting less(at least thats how i think thats why im posting). if i bet more he may just give it up. of course this play will not work all the time but im trying. i think the play is consistent w ace king and thats the second key as well does the betting fit a story. i have nothing on the flop so i check (or i have a monster and im trapping) the king hits and thats the big card i was looking for and now im value betting you bc you have shown an interest in the pot.