Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Default etiquette and experience of seeing someone else\'s cards

what is the etiquette of seeing someone else's cards? in my limited B&M experience, it has happened alot (people beside me who don't protect their cards at all, hope i'm making enough effort not to see them).. luckily, i haven't been in a hand when i've seen the cards (suggesting i am careful not to see the other player's cards).

if you see the other player's cards (when in the hand), are you morally obligated to inform the table of such??

curious about this... BTW, seeing their cards, these people are making horrible plays. calling pocket 8's on river vs. 3 opponents with 3 overcards on the board.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: etiquette and experience of seeing someone else\'s cards

[ QUOTE ]
what is the etiquette of seeing someone else's cards? in my limited B&M experience, it has happened alot (people beside me who don't protect their cards at all, hope i'm making enough effort not to see them).. luckily, i haven't been in a hand when i've seen the cards (suggesting i am careful not to see the other player's cards).

if you see the other player's cards (when in the hand), are you morally obligated to inform the table of such??

curious about this... BTW, seeing their cards, these people are making horrible plays. calling pocket 8's on river vs. 3 opponents with 3 overcards on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are an honest individual (it sounds like you are), inform them that they need to protect their cards better. They will appreciate it.

I have had to speak up more than once to let a fellow player know that they were exposing their cards to me. Especially after a very long session, people get tired and or lazy.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:13 PM

I'll tell a person once and then continue to look.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll tell a person once and then continue to look.

[/ QUOTE ]

my devil's advocate comment: aren't you "cheating" the other active people at the table? i sort of agree that if they are that poor at protecting their cards then they deserve to lose, but what about the others??? i can't really see myself piping up either though.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:25 PM

The question isn't, "Do we have a moral obligation to tell them?" it's, "DO YOU have a moral obligation to tell them?" It's just an individual moral question.

File me straight in the scumbag section, I never say boo.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question isn't, "Do we have a moral obligation to tell them?" it's, "DO YOU have a moral obligation to tell them?" It's just an individual moral question.

File me straight in the scumbag section, I never say boo.

[/ QUOTE ]

consider yourself filed under "S"! LOL

but sports like golf have a very serious ethical code and there have been huge disputes over tiny infractions.

i think what i do is make sure i can't see their cards (take it upon myself) when i'm in the hand (and then i have somewhat roving eyes after i've folded) .... also, i'm wondering if these people knew that i was out of the hand (one person it seemed really doubtful, but he didn't care)
Old 02-13-2006, 12:50 PM

I always inform the person that they need to protect their cards better. Oddly enough not everyone appreciates you telling them what they are doing. One time a guy was picking up his hand and looking at them without protecting them at all. In between hands I told him he needed to protect his hand better and he got mad and said, "Just quit looking!" Ok sir I'll try not to look at your cards when you wave them in my face.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:10 PM

file me under the scumbag section too,,,if I am going to use endless brains cells to figure player reads and hand reads for that tiny edge than that occasional peep only goes to further that edge, I am playing for me, I could care less about the other players. This scumbag always finds a way to sit to the left of such players and then push hard to isolate them. If I depend on the profit from this game to live, what is wrong with using any legal means to maximize this profit. If a baseball team picks up signs from the other team do they not steal them to gain an advantage? I think cheating would be if I picked up the players cards for a better look.

If it is an obvious newbie then I give them the benefit of one instructional tip to protect their cards better, but then it's radar to the felt.

guess I should use the preview button [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2006, 01:49 PM

I guess I'm a scumbag too. I was playing a few weeks ago and this guy that was sitting across the table from me was shuffling his two cards every time he was in a hand and I could see his cards every time. Although he was wearing suglasses and listening to music on an ipod so I didn't feel as sorry for him.

On a side note, and I'm sure this has been discussed before - I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone here, but if you wear the whole sunglasses and ipod deal playing 1-2NL at some random cardroom then you are a TOOL...
Old 02-13-2006, 01:54 PM

I agree sunglasses are douchey... but come on... poker is effing boring, and so are 95% of the people that play it, whats wrong with listening to some tunes?