Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Two-street semibluff?

<font color="blue">UTG runs 35/12/1.8 over 800ish hands. One time in the past he raised preflop and then overbet the pot on the flop and I smooth-called OOP with TPWK. We check-checked our way to the river where he revealed an underpair to the board, so my guess is that this overbet isn't as mighty as it looks. However, that is just a guess....</font>

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $113.40
Hero (BB): $121.05
UTG: $101.75
MP: $110.95
CO: $98.50
BTN: $105.45

Pre-Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, BTN calls $2, SB folds, Hero calls $1

<font color="blue">Mmmmm...odds.</font>

Flop: ($6.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $9</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $27</font>, UTG calls $18

<font color="blue">I check the flop intending to semibluff check-raise if UTG bets and BTN folds, or smooth-call if UTG bets and BTN calls. My semibluff gets called, so we go to the turn.</font>

Turn: ($60.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $77</font> (villain has $72.75 left, so this is a push)....

<font color="blue">As bad cards go, that's a pretty good one -- if villain doesn't have a 4 this is going to be a pretty scary card. Also, if called I've still probably got eight outs to a winner.

Good play?</font>
Old 11-18-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Two-street semibluff?

Not really. villan here is willing to call with any Q and I think you have little FE, if any. I prefer taking the more passive route with this hand (ie. c/c-ing the flop) since

-he'll pay us off when we hit.
-he seems to take somewhat of a passive route with marginal holdings that want to get to showdown.

i know he can't hand read either, but i dont really see how that 4 is a scare card.

i don't really mind the flop c/r, in fact its my std against normal opponents. just not in this situation. against braindead opponents, i rather play a bit straightfoward.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really. villan here is willing to call with any Q and I think you have little FE, if any. I prefer taking the more passive route with this hand (ie. c/c-ing the flop) since

-he'll pay us off when we hit.
-he seems to take somewhat of a passive route with marginal holdings that want to get to showdown.

i know he can't hand read either, but i dont really see how that 4 is a scare card.

i don't really mind the flop c/r, in fact its my std against normal opponents. just not in this situation. against braindead opponents, i rather play a bit straightfoward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. What orange said.

He's gonna put you on a 4 exactly never, after a flop c/r. In fact, it makes sets less likely if he does happen to think about that sort of thing.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:31 PM

I now see why you are running bad.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Maaaaayyyyyyybe against a TAG reg...4 sux though because it cuts down on the sets you are trying to rep.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 PM

villian is retarted ... and he never folds the turn
Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch! Geez, honesty hurts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Info assimilated (I think). Semibluff people who know where the fold button is, don't semibluff people who call.

So a better line after UTG bets and BTN folds would be "call, check-call"? Then donkbet if I hit the river?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:37 PM

The 4 really dosen't change anything, if it was an A/K it would've been better because it makes the board looks more scary for Qx hands.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Info assimilated (I think). Semibluff people who know where the fold button is, don't semibluff people who call.

So a better line after UTG bets and BTN folds would be "call, check-call"? Then donkbet if I hit the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't see much point to c/c turn. Flop you get nice implied odds for cheep and he will often give you 2 cards. But if turn bricks and he keeps firing all of that goes out the window.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Call, check/fold probably if he bets something decentish.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 PM

This is really bad all around in my opinion. Preflop is ok if you can play postflop, but it looks like you can't, so I'd have folded there if I were you. After your flop c/r I'd shut down on the turn since it's about the worst possible card for you to 2 barrel, because it makes 44 less likely so he's putting us on exactly 77 and folding his overpair/TP exactly never. And probably snapping w/ 88+, too.