Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-06-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Heyman: Miggy is on the block.

[ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about this year's FA class per se. You keep and play your top prospects for cost control and then when there is a top free agent availbable on the market you are in a great position to land him.

[/ QUOTE ]

except we probably can't play several of the guys we'd give up because they'd be blocked at the MLB level. and if you get cabrera now before he hits the FA market you can probably lock him up at a bargain price.

it's basically, would you rather give up a few prospects and sign him for an average of like 15-17 million per year now, or watch the yankees sign him for 23 million in a few years when he hits the market?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM

But you mentioned Ellsbury + Lester as the centerpiece. I don't want to give up guys like that who can play and contribute on the 25 man roster at real cheap dollars.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM

its depressing how the phillies are never in these conversations. if we had a good farm system i'm sure we'd try and land him, but we simply don't (in fact, it sucks)
Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 PM

I said Ellsbury or Lester, I doubt they would give up both.

The Sox payroll will probably go down next year even if they do get Cabrera. It's not as if we're going to go broke if we don't play a bunch of rookies. If you trade Ellsbury and some prospects for Cabrera, you don't bring Lowell back and Cabrera costs you less than Lowell.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what free agent better than Cabrera will be available on the market in the near future? Santana?

How many players in the league would you rather have than him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, but he's only two years from being auctioned off to the highest bidder. He's amazing, and I'd love to have him, but if the price is 3-4 excellent young players AND $25 million for two years of production and the compensatory draft picks, it's just not worth it, IMO...there are smarter ways to spend money/assets.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM

But if you're trading highly valued prospects for Cabrera wouldn't you have to give him a long term deal? So you're going to have to lock him up at 16-20 million a year minimum.

I'm not saying I'd rather have Lowell, but Cabrera is going to cost a lot more money long term.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its depressing how the phillies are never in these conversations. if we had a good farm system i'm sure we'd try and land him, but we simply don't (in fact, it sucks)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Cabrera would be a good fit for Philadelphia. As many have noted, he's munching his way through being an option at third base. And I hear the Phillies have a decent first baseman.

However, he'd be perfect for the Yankees or Red Sox since the Yankees need help at both 3B and 1B, and the Red Sox have one guy who can play either one.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Im assuming they would sign him to a long term deal if they make the trade.

The most pathetic part about this for Florida is that the "prospects" they would get in this deal are the same age as the veteran stud. You can't even pull the rebuilding card, just the nit card.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 PM

of course they would sign him long-term. and they'd probably be able to get a better deal now, when he has two years left of arb, than they would if he hit the FA market.

people who are saying 'it's just not worth it...' ... are you serious? the guy is one of the top power hitters in the game, he's just entering his prime, and the sox are in need of a big RH bat to replace manny. if they don't get it here, where would they get it?

people talking about how much it would cost vs. the a-rod or lowell options: you do realize that cabrera is young, and will actually end up earning his paycheck over the life of this deal, unlike the other two, right?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You keep and play your top prospects for cost control and then when there is a top free agent availbable on the market you are in a great position to land him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you stupid? Miguel Cabrera is a top five position player RIGHT NOW. He is also arbitration-eligible.