Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Heyman: Miggy is on the block.

It's at the top of SI.com, you don't need a link.

What do people think the market will be like for Cabrera? What would you like to see your team give up to get him?

As a Sox fan I've been hoping to land him for a long time. We paid a steep price for Beckett and I imagine the Marlins would come looking for something huge for Cabrera as well. Our negotiating position might be improved by the fact that Miggy is quickly eating himself into a DH, but I still don't think the Marlins are likely to budge, and other teams will presumably offer a lot for him. I'm sure the Dodgers will do something stupid to land him.

I doubt the Red Sox can make it happen, but I would hope that the centerpiece of any deal would be Lester or Ellsbury, not Buchholz.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Heyman: Miggy is on the block.

[ QUOTE ]
It's at the top of SI.com, you don't need a link.

What do people think the market will be like for Cabrera? What would you like to see your team give up to get him?

As a Sox fan I've been hoping to land him for a long time. We paid a steep price for Beckett and I imagine the Marlins would come looking for something huge for Cabrera as well. Our negotiating position might be improved by the fact that Miggy is quickly eating himself into a DH, but I still don't think the Marlins are likely to budge, and other teams will presumably offer a lot for him. I'm sure the Dodgers will do something stupid to land him.

I doubt the Red Sox can make it happen, but I would hope that the centerpiece of any deal would be Lester or Ellsbury, not Buchholz.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer that the Sox keep and play their top prospects for cost control and use that extra money to buy Free Agents.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 PM

I think the Yankees would be the best fit for him, but I'm a Yankees fan so you can take that with a grain of salt I guess. I also have heard different things about his relationship with Girardi.

I can see both sides of whether the Red Sox should go after him. On one end is his value higher than Lowell and whatever big prospects you'd have to give up? On the other he would be a perfect fit to take over Manny's spot in the lineup if you don't resign him when his contract is up.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the Dodgers will do something stupid to land him.

[/ QUOTE ]

FJM has a hilarious entry about Steve Phillips's advice to the Dodgers (I think it was a video segment on SportsCenter) on how to get to the World Series next year. He recommended they trade for both Cabrera AND Santana, as well as signing either Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:11 PM

Im having a hard time thinking of a package I would want to trade him for.

I have a feeling this off-season is going to suck.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I prefer that the Sox keep and play their top prospects for cost control and use that extra money to buy Free Agents.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh huh. and can you think of any free agents that we can land for 12 million a year that will put up cabrera's line?

the sox could easily end up paying a good bit more than that to someone like lowell, who is not going to be as good as cabrera next year. and lowell will probably require a 4 year deal.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh huh. and can you think of any free agents that we can land for 12 million a year that will put up cabrera's line?

the sox could easily end up paying a good bit more than that to someone like lowell, who is not going to be as good as cabrera next year. and lowell will probably require a 4 year deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about this year's FA class per se. You keep and play your top prospects for cost control and then when there is a top free agent availbable on the market you are in a great position to land him.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 PM

what free agent better than Cabrera will be available on the market in the near future? Santana?

How many players in the league would you rather have than him?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 PM

yea like miguel cabrera.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can see both sides of whether the Red Sox should go after him. On one end is his value higher than Lowell and whatever big prospects you'd have to give up? On the other he would be a perfect fit to take over Manny's spot in the lineup if you don't resign him when his contract is up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty much a given that we won't resign Manny when his contract is up. There's a decent chance they don't even exercise their option on him for 2009. Cabrera is the kind of big-time hitter entering his prime who we should be targeting to replace him. The question is merely, will the price be too steep?

One thing you have to ask, too, is whether the prospects we would give up are blocked, and what it would take to negotiate a long-term deal with Cabrera. We are pretty deep in terms of young pitching talent, and Ellsbury's value is probably as high now as it will ever be.

I'm really not sure about how much to give up, but I think if Cabrera is willing to re-sign for 6 or 8 years you have to make a big run at him. These type of deals, where a big-market team gives up big-time talent in exchange for the chance to lock up an established stud, can be good for both teams. There's a good chance that if we lock up Cabrera now, before he gets out of arb, we will get more than our money's worth over the next six or eight years, and there's also a good chance that some of the guys we'd give up would be blocked anyway.

I think the Yankees will make an offer for him, but I don't think Cashman is going to be willing to give up the young pitching that the Marlins will demand.