Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

View Poll Results: Would YOU vote against the Port Security bill / UIGEA?
Yes 91 49.19%
No 94 50.81%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Default C-betting survey.

I thought it would be interesting to see how people vary their c-bets in the micro levels. Seeing how important continuation bets are to our winrate, they warrant some additional discussion. Think of this survey as a springboard to a conversation about c-betting -- please follow up your survey response with a post explaining anything you consider interesting or worthwhile.

For the following questions, assume that you were the preflop raiser, making a standard-sized raise, and that you were called by one opponent. One more point: while "c-bet" is often used to mean a flop bet after a preflop raise when you have absolutely nothing, for the purposes of this survey let's just use it to mean any flop bet.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: C-betting survey.

i only answered some of these b/c the one major factor i use one frequency of c-betting as well as c-bet size is flop texture, which is only in 2 or 3 of the questions.

the other factor I use is whether opponent is a station or not. I guess you can translate that into some c-bet percentage - but i dunno it
Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 PM

You compare tight to aggressive in many polls, should it not be tight vs loose, or passive vs aggressive?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM

Nice survey:

Summary of what I do
Against 1 opponent- cbet 75% of time. Amount depends on texture of board, opponent, and my hand.

With air against tight player, I'll cbet 2/3 pot; against calling station, I'll cbet 1/2 or go for check raise. I'm finding that checking the flop and betting the turn works just as well against some stations when I miss.

When hit flop (or over pair), my cbets are more board dependent. If flop is not scary, I will go 1/2 - 2/3 pot (less for tight and more for stations). I turn up the heat on the turn though. If board is draw heavy, I'll pot flop and pot turn if no scare card.

Against multiple opponents, I don't usually cbet my air OOP but will if checked to me in position. With made hand or draw, I will cbet 3/4-full against multiple opponents to narrow field.

Sometimes I see that a min bet is enough to scare away those 65/1/0.5 players as they have a hit or fold mentality. No sense in throwing in more if they'll fold with nothing. If I hit- I'll cbet more.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM

I answered most of them.

But on monotone flops I make a bigger c-bet if I have a hand usually but not so if I don't.

And as far as my hand strenth: sometimes I make a bigger c-bet with a strong hand but generally it's in my normal c-bet size range.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 PM

My c-bets don't really vary in terms of frequency as I nearly always c-bet unless an opponent has shown a propensity to keep (check) raising, which may slow me down. I only vary the amount I c-bet if the board is very drawy and then I bet full pot rather than 3/4. Stack size will also cause me to c-bet a smaller amount against short stacks and more if we're both deep.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:37 PM

By the way I bet people are gonna miss that there's only one opponent here and stats will be skewed especally the c-bet frequency stat.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:38 PM

I answered all the questions, but I think that polls like this are actually counter productive. A poster who cbets perhaps 20% of time time could read that people cbet about 75% of the time and say, "oh well then I'll cbet more." But they are missing critical knowledge -- when to cbet. Not just 75% of the time, but there are specific situations in which cbetting is good or not good. The key to cbetting correctly is not knowing how often, but when.

A cbet on this board is often very good: K72r
A cbet on this board not often that good: AQ2r
A cbet on this board is often very bad: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
A cbet on this board is often not good: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

They are good or bad not because of your hand or even really the opponent's hand exactly. They are good or bad because of how often you will get a call. For example, say the opponent has 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. A cbet on he first board will not often be called. A cbet on the 3rd board will be at least called 100% of the time. When considering cbets, consider the three classes of hands opponents are most likely to have: naked Aces, medium-small pairs, coordinated unpaired cards (one gappers, suited connectorsl, suited broadways, two broadway cards, etc)
Old 10-05-2007, 12:44 PM

I bet less often when I'm OOP - 5 23%

Expected this to be higher.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM

some of those are kind of trick questions. i cbet less on paired boards versus opponents who are tight preflop, and more against opponents who are loose preflop.

i think most people probably cbet more often oop vs one opponent, whether they realise it or not, just because there are no opportunities to check behind for whatever reason.