Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 09-18-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: billick calls out mangini\'s jets for cheating

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ these things being the same

I do think it is bushleague if it is true though .. just like i thought the i got it arod stuff was bushleague

but to compare this to videotape teams signals is ridiculous.

Again, this was the ref's responsibility to catch, what patriots did was the league's responsibility to catch

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get it. No one is saying the two things are the same, in fact the opposite. All op was doing was pointing out that it is the opinion of some that Mangini is likely to catch a lot of crap from fellow coaches for ratting out the Patriots.

You're not disputing that possibility, are you?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

If you are going to break 2+2 rules and post an entire article from an outside source, you could at least have the decency to provide a link or in some way give credit to the author/publisher.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops...i thought I had put ProFootballTalk in there.

and its not really an article..its from their blog thingie
Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS - Are you both a Yankee fan and a Patriots fan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got tons of friends that are both Patriot and Yankee fans. In Worcester, in the Italian section it goes back to the Joe DiMaggio days when a lot of the Italians were Yankee fans because of Joe D. And they passed it along to their sons. There are other retarded reasons too I suppose. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS - Are you both a Yankee fan and a Patriots fan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yankees and Broncos/Cardinals fan.
But I respect and like the Pats. If my teams are out of it...which is always a given with the Cards and usually the case with the Broncos...I root for Pats.

I'd love half their players or coaches to be on my teams over who we already have.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Billick accused them of illegally simulating snap counts to draw the offense offsides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone help out a casual football fan here? What does simulating a snap count mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its defensive players yelling "hut" or something like it in an attempt to make offensive players think the QB is yelling it, which would then lead them to false start.

[/ QUOTE ]

These seems bush league, but I'm surprised there's a rule against it. Why can't the offense be responsible for looking to see if the ball is actually snapped instead of jumping at the first "hut" they hear? I'm sure that a few judisciously applied cut blocks on defenders that try this stuff might work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things. First, the rule, and it's certainly a good one, is in place because without it, the whole game suffers. The QB must be allowed to call out the cadance or the level of play drops off significantly. Crowd noise is fine, it's a part of the game, but the D trying to trick the offensive linemen, most of whom can't see the ball clearly, isn't fair.

Secondly, and this is a bit nitty as you said you were a casual fan, but you're confusing "cut" blocks with "chop" blocks.
Cut blocks are legal. A cut block is when the blocker engages a defender below the waist, and is most often used by a RB to stop a blitzing LB or CB.
A chop block is illegal and occurs when an offensive player hits a player below the waist when that player is already being blocked by someone else. It's illegal obviously because of how dangerous it is to hit someone in the knees when their attention is correctly focused elsewhere.

Cody
Old 09-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Actually cut blocks which are legal are actually frowned upon and considered bush league because of the injury factor. So using this tactic as a deterrent to stop defenders from barking out hut would be something you might want to do to send a message.

Edit to add: In the context you cited, to cut a blitzing LB or DB they are not bush and acceptable. It is the use of them in a downfield situation that they are frowned on by the players.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol @ these things being the same

I do think it is bushleague if it is true though .. just like i thought the i got it arod stuff was bushleague

but to compare this to videotape teams signals is ridiculous.

Again, this was the ref's responsibility to catch, what patriots did was the league's responsibility to catch

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get it. No one is saying the two things are the same, in fact the opposite. All op was doing was pointing out that it is the opinion of some that Mangini is likely to catch a lot of crap from fellow coaches for ratting out the Patriots.

You're not disputing that possibility, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

no im not
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Crowd noise is fine, it's a part of the game,

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the posters here are probably too young to remember it but there was a brief time in the late 80s or early 90s when the NFL attempted to regulate crowd noise by penalizing the home team if the crowd was too loud while the visiting team had the ball. It was complete disaster and they abandoned it after a year or two.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:17 PM

Total non-story. Billick is a total blowhard and says things just to say them. If someone like Dungy had said this, it would be mildly interesting. And yeah, this is cheating the same way a QB bobbing his head during a hard count is cheating.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
another reason to hate billick

[/ QUOTE ]