Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Short handed limit holdem - Book / DVD Recommendations.

I play mainly micro limit, limit holdem online. Unfortunately few of the sites seem to have much traffic for the full ring games, but many of them have lots of traffic for the short handed games, therefore i was thinking of learning to play shorthanded so i can clear bonuses on more sites...(otherwise, i have to learn NL holdem, or Omaha..both of which i intend to, but i figure that would interfere with my study of limit holdem.)

I am currently re-reading ITH, which like many of the holdem books has virtually no coverage of short handed games.

I'm not a very strong player, so i dont know if something like stox's book would be suitable for me.

Any recommendations ?

thanks,
Old 08-04-2007, 12:37 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: Short handed limit holdem - Book / DVD Recommendations.

I have Dave Fromm's shorthanded DVD's and they are really good. Professionalpoker.com has them and he delivers quickly.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:21 PM

Yeah Fromm's DVD's are good and Stox just came out with one last week.

Barry Tannebaum just came out with a couple of books last week too, "Advanced Limit Hold" 'em and "Limit Hold 'em: Winning Short Handed Strategies." I've ordered these but I'm still waiting on them so I don't know if they're any good yet. I did read some exerpts in card player and they seemed worthwhile.

If you don't feel like you're a very strong player make sure you've read (and reread) all of the standards, SSHE especially. If you want recommendations on these general limit books do a search, you'll find plenty.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:44 PM

thanks guys,

i have SSHE, i read it before i read ITH but felt that it was a bit too advanced for me at that time. I plan on re-reading it once i have completed ITH again, however, i dont think it talks about short-handed play.

I will look up the two dvds, by Fromm's and Stox. I think a poster in another thread mentioned that Tanenbaums short handed book isnt out until september or october.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2007, 01:45 PM

According to the USA distributor, Barry's books are about a month away. They are getting printed in the UK I believe. Here is a case where the UK will have a 3-4 week lead on the US.
Mike
Old 08-04-2007, 06:07 PM

Hey dirty banana,

You might want to slow down a little. If you aren't very far into stox's book i would put it down. If you felt like SSHE was too advanced when you read it you probably don't want to move onto stox's book. I'd read getting started in hold 'em which will probably be a little too basic for you, but it's a short quick read with good information in it. Then i'd reread SSHE, then I'd read Lee Jones' book, then reread SSHE again, then maybe TOP. My point is that i'd do alot of reading and rereading before you get to stox's book or worry about short handed reading. Don't get caught up in understanding how 6-max games are different until you fully understand the game itself. Just food for thought, good luck.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:12 PM

I posted a shorthanded LHE reading list a while back: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...ge=0&vc=1. This was before Stox's book came out, so it's a little out of date. It should be helpful for a beginning player though. Of all the books I've listed, Weighing the Odds is by far the best for shorthanded games.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:28 PM

Hi Numbnuts007,

I've been playing for about a year, and in that time i have read Lee jones's book a couple of times, GSIH, SSHE, and i have read some of TOP and i am now in my second reading of ITH.

I wish my brain didnt have as many leaks as my game : )

The problems i had with Millers book's were more to do with playing post flop....i wasnt sure how to play after certain situations such as a set with a flop where all the cards are of the same suit...ITH explains this sort of stuff SSHE just made the comment that it was above explaining how to play sets!..so i had to put it down and start reading other stuff, notably ITH....but i did learn a lot about counting outs etc and i look forward to re-reading it again.

I guess, i will follow your advice and re-read SSHE and then TOP next and see how i feel about my limit play & understanding.

perhaps I should read Middle limit hold em and How good is your limit hold em before moving onto the short handed stuff ?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:33 PM

thanks B.M,

I will have a browse through that lot at some point! I wasnt sure how useful some of those books would be for short-handed (or that they had chapters on it!)
Old 08-05-2007, 05:27 AM

What's ITH?