Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: balance drills and 2 swing pics.

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of drills, or excersizes, can I do to improve my balance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Close your eyes, make a full swing, and hold your finish.
Rinse and repeat.

Your swing is close to being very good.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 AM

I'm sure it's not your main problem but in the pics you’re playing in running shoe and that will definitely rob your balance and move your weight to your toes.

GS
Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Please don't work on weight shift and don't work on balance. Weight shift and balance are the results of a good swing, not the cause.

If you are off balance after you contact the ball, it is because of something that you did before you contacted the ball.

If you need to do a drill, I think it could be helpful to hit balls with your feet together. This isn't so much to practice balance and weight shift, but more to practice swinging the club correctly. If you swing the club correctly, your weight shift will happen perfectly and you will be balanced. Hitting balls with your feet together helps you feel what that is like. Then when you take your normal stance, try to replicate that feel.

As far as your daughter is concerned, get her a new instructor.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't work on weight shift and don't work on balance. Weight shift and balance are the results of a good swing, not the cause.

If you are off balance after you contact the ball, it is because of something that you did before you contacted the ball.

If you need to do a drill, I think it could be helpful to hit balls with your feet together. This isn't so much to practice balance and weight shift, but more to practice swinging the club correctly. If you swing the club correctly, your weight shift will happen perfectly and you will be balanced. Hitting balls with your feet together helps you feel what that is like. Then when you take your normal stance, try to replicate that feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you go into a little more detail about "swinging the club correctly"? Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by that. I am a heavy technique guy and think with the right technique, you can do almost anything. By correctly, do you mean, controlled, arms straight when they need to be, and a proper follow through? Or is there something else I am missing?

[ QUOTE ]
As far as your daughter is concerned, get her a new instructor.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. The thing is, her instructor last week pointed out that she is lacking balance. She is in a JR golf program and the biggest problem we are having with the different programs she is in is that she is getting different advice from different instructors. I just try and work with her between clinics. The head guy, who is doing a terrific job, said we needed to improve balance, so I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable fellows. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks to all in this thread.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She is in a JR golf program and the biggest problem we are having with the different programs she is in is that she is getting different advice from different instructors

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate this at my work too, everyone teaches a little different, now, we all may be teaching the same thing, but some people will click on certain things and others will not. If she is doing well with a particular instructor, have her go to him for private instruction, keep her in the classes if you feel the need, but she will get the most out of the instructor that she understands best.