Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 10-05-2006, 03:59 AM

Default Re: My GF\'s parents are scumbags thus far (Fin. Aid)

[ QUOTE ]
until she moves out, she's gonna have to put up with the crap.

" talk to the school's financial aid office for help"
yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to wait even longer than that. unfortunately.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:44 AM

Solo,

If she isn't considered a dependent, then there has to be a way for her to get the financial aid she needs regardless of her parents' income. If she's over 18, there has to be a way for her to not be a dependent right? There are plenty of independent 18 years olds out there.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:04 AM

yes, she needs to declare independent status and move out.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Right well that is the problem. She doesn't think she can move out on her own and claim independence because she has SOME money but not a ton. And even working through the fall won't necessarily make that easy...

It is funny. Her parents provide for her mostly. She pays her cell phone bill and maybe (I think) her insurance for her car. But beyond that her parents provide for her entirely. However, they do so in a way that keeps her under their thumb. For example, they wouldn't let her buy her own car with money she had. They said if she did that they would stop providing X for here (where X was a bunch of stuff)....So basically they have her under their thumb.

xwill, Very similar situation. However, they won't even give her the INFO about their taxes and stuff. You can't even APPLY for aid without that information. So that is my main concern to get a fix for....

t0ne, She still lives with her parents and will continue to do so until next summer (when she moves down here). This makes her listed as an independent. like xwill said, the FAFSA/loans places expect that most parents are normal and will at least help their kid figure stuff out. Her parents, on the other hand, insist on hindering her....

Drewdevil, I have tried telling her this many times. I wish nothing more than for her to do so. In fact, my mother has said that she could live at our house (since I'm at school basically full time) and then declare herself independent. My girlfriend won't do it becuase she doesn't think it would work and that she "isn't strong enough for that right now" and what not....

So with all that information added....what do you now think? Just in general even....
Old 10-05-2006, 01:37 PM

I have some experience in this area. I'm very sure you have to be 24 years old to declare independent status unless you were removed from your parents custody (ie: court order, abuse, neglect). Even then you have to apply for independent status, it is not given to you.

http://www.fafsa.org/otheraid/parentsrefuse.phtml

I skimmed through it, and it's really no help. The government just doesn't look at this as a realistic scenario even though it happens more than it should.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is Illinois State University...why does the state school thing matter TDB?

[/ QUOTE ]
it's a lot easier to get a $7000 loan than a $20,000 loan, and being $30,000 in debt after 4 years of college is pretty standard where I'm from.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM

Amval, thank you very much for the link. I looked for at least 20 minutes for this type of thing and couldn't find it...Still reading it now..My favorite so far...

"If your parents refuse to file the forms because they haven't filed a tax return or owe taxes, there isn't anything you can do. The federal government doesn't provide financial aid to families of tax evaders and tax protesters. If you have evidence of your parents tax evasion, you could consider turning them in to the IRS, since the IRS does provide a reward for such information. (If your parents are sufficiently wealthy, the reward could pay for your education!)"
Old 10-05-2006, 06:39 PM

Well that helps a little bit...but basically it says that she is [censored] for 3 years if she can't convince them to at least let her file FAFSA to get the unsubsidized loan. I'm guessing getting a student loan from elsewhere would not only be expensive, but very troublesome without her parents info...

This is still sucking..but thanks to you guys I feel like it is more doable.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:40 AM

Solo,

This situation sounds a lot like a friend of mine in high school. He ended up going completely independent. He had to work his ass off all through school, but he made it work. It's definitely a sucky situation.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:46 AM

isn't it really hard to go independent? i'm pretty sure you have to be able to claim financial independence for something like 2-3 years; it sucks, but they do this to keep otherwise able families from saying their kids are independent so they don't have to pay for college