Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-22-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Buying stocks with high dividends?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Its hard to know if dividends will have to be cut because of the lack of information about what is on the balance sheet. I imagine the banks themselves don't even know the value of some derivatives or CDOs.

Citi made $0.44 cents per share in the most recent quarter. That is less than they paid out in dividends. They had earned about $1 or more per quarter for the previous 8+ quarters. Most of this loss was due to a huge write down in CDO investments. Will the earnings bounce back or are there more write downs to come? Its hard to say. I am watching these banks, but I think it will take another quarter before we know whats going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

They won't cut dividends unless they have to, because they know they are dead meat if they do. Countrywide paid their last dividend, for crying out loud.

BTW, I think more write-downs are coming. Big ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

And right now, the market is saying that they'll have to.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They won't cut dividends unless they have to, because they know they are dead meat if they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I've seen divi cuts received well in the past. GM comes to mind as one of many examples. Also too, divy cuts are very often anticipated. Surprise divy cuts aren't received so well. Don't know what the sentiment is on C.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was in the past, not right now. And not a financial.

All the financials are under pressure right now, and a dividend cut or suspension by C would be headline news.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:37 AM

You can't pick stocks by dividend yield alone. Above-normal dividends are often a red flag for a company in distress. Studies have consistently shown that you will earn higher long-term returns by avoiding risky stocks with overly high dividends.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 AM

Dividends are what people use to console themselves when their stock tanks, "But it pays a good dividend!" Of course, your net worth is much less, even with the dividend, and there's always the possibility of the div being cut.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:18 AM

Why not just buy a few utilities, or utilities ETFs? I think if you plan on holding for only 2 yrs, you want less volatility. Anything in the financial sector would be pretty dumb imo.

BTW: for poor saps like me, in the 10-15% tax bracket, you won't have to pay any taxes on cap gains or dividends from 2008 to 2010. ship it
Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive heard UBS is the least likely to cut their dividend and i think buffet is accumulating, it also got hit the least out of these beat up bank stocks, dont listen to me though i am new to stocks

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean USB not UBS.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just buy a few utilities, or utilities ETFs? I think if you plan on holding for only 2 yrs, you want less volatility. Anything in the financial sector would be pretty dumb imo.

BTW: for poor saps like me, in the 10-15% tax bracket, you won't have to pay any taxes on cap gains or dividends from 2008 to 2010. ship it

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want an ETF there are several good high yielding ETFs like DVYor SDY or the Wisdom Tree ones that are pretty well diversified although they all have a significant chunk of money in bank stocks. Or, there are bank ETFs and closed end funds that you can buy once most of the carnage is over if you don't feel comfortable buying individual stocks. Personally, I would rather just research and buy a few good bank stocks than a fund, but that's what works for me. YMMV.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:13 PM

haha yea usb, thats why i suck at stocks cant even get the symbols right
Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 PM

All the tanker stocks (FRO, VLCCF, ect..) have been doing well recently and have consistently paid very high div's (8 - 30%).
Old 11-27-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very slim chance Citi cuts its dividend FYI

[/ QUOTE ]

the option market might disagree with you.

dividend = stock - strike + interest + put - call

check out the atm jan 09 options and you will see that there is a pretty severe expected decline in dvd payments.... im not saying it will happen, but its priced into the option market so if you are thinkning that citi will not cut dividend i recommend buying puts selling calls and buying stock (a conversion).