Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: pick 3 emerging contries to invest in

Turkey. However, their market has been up tremendously over the last few years. Standard for most emerging markets recently though.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 PM

Korea seems strange to me. Watching Hyundai's inventory of unsold vehicles skyrocket to probably 100k while they're building a new factory in the US seems bizarre to say the least.

I like:

Panama and Costa Rica for Latin America (zomg I agree with fishhead)

In Europe I'm going with Estonia

In Africa I'm picking Nigeria all the way; it's government is intent on limiting corruption and making Lagos ever more the business capital of Africa. The Dutch Disease with their oil hardly matters here since wages are nearly zero. Senegal looks good too.

Based on what I know of the auto industry, for India I'd rather back American FDI into India than India's pathetic attempts at entering the US. I see a consumer economy finally emerging in India over the next decade, so I'd invest in the first world multinationals that are ready to step in.

Emerging business pick: Shoprite
Old 09-26-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Iran, after we bomb them into oblivion there will be many new opportunities.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps, but you wont have any money to invest since oil will be at $200/barell and every country in the world will be in a major depression.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM

wow lots of good responses, the next q is should i go with etf's(taking a stock/bond class that recommends etfs) or adr's(my smith barney broker said he likes these better)

i always go with individual stocks when i trade in the u.s. but im thinking an etf might be better in emerging markets
Old 09-26-2007, 05:51 PM

Really interesting thread.

I am a on/off 2plus2 lurker but thought i would add my thoughts to this one.

I work in UK and European real estate constantly looking at emerging markets. For me much of Europe is finished, including Russia and there is no appropriate risk - return profile at the moment. Always some markets are going to be interesting, for example i am looking at Serbia and Bosnia at the moment but the only market that has me slightly intrigued is Turkey because of its size, the size of Istanbul and the retail environment there.

The 4 buzzwords when you hear emerging are Bazil, Russia, India and China but they have been buzzwords for so long now that i think most the growth has happened - certainly in China and India which i know a little about.

A couple of people have mentioned Vietnam and from a real estate point of view i think this is inetersting though i have only had a few meetings and am at the early stages of the process.

Panama is definitelty a good shout - Guys i know from the UK are doing the biggest development ever out there at the moment - real gateway that country.

My thoughts are all based on real estate which is my field -what do others think from a real estate point of view.

Also - the truth is there are niche opportunities in every market eventhe most mature markets. They are harder to spot and more competitive, but more than likely the risk-return correlation is appealing
Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not suggesting you do this with your own money, but my emerging markets allocation is in China, China, and China.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, BIDU, STP, SNDA, keep shipping me monies!!!