Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 PM

Default 65s BB vs. pf raiser

No reads, new to table.

Here is a type of hand I really struggle with. A Small multi-way pot with 2nd or 3rd pair on a raggy flop. What would be a standard line here? Donk the flop? C/R? Call flop donk turn? Call down, maybe fold if an ace hits?

Maybe this is way too opponent dependent, but a lot of times I feel lost here. I feel like if I donk, I get raised by worse hannds way to often making the turn difficult to play.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Re: 65s BB vs. pf raiser

I'd c/r.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about 4way? Check call flop, check fold a lot of turns?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 PM

If I know villain will raise anything on the flop, I like a donk to get it HU, otherwise I still think a C/R is win. Playing passively with different opponents in the pot is not bad as well.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:30 PM

i'd c/r.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:31 PM

I like a c/r on this flop as well. This board probably didn't help PFR so you are either somewhat ahead or pretty far behind. Taking a free card also wouldn't be a bad result but if he bets, you should raise (and probably fold to a 3-bet although that's pretty weak, I'm sure I would call). Then you can bet out again on turn unless something ugly falls (Ace particularly). With 4 players in pot, you might want to bet out and hope he raises to get HU instead of allowing other draws and overs to stay in.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:32 PM

With second pair and backdoor straight and flush draws, you need to be playing this hand. Even if you are behind, you usually have the equivalent of 9 outs to improve (if you value the backdoor draws at 2 outs each) to what will likely be the best hand.

If your opponents are very aggressive and you're worried about them raising you with a worse hand, then you need to consider check-raising. The people that will raise you with bottom pair or overcards are the same ones who will reliably bet on the button whenever they're checked to.

But this opponent could still re-raise with a hand worse than yours, right? Well, that's possible. But think about it... how often do you see someone raise a single bet with a worse hand, compared to how often do you see someone 3-bet a check-raiser with a crap hand? No reads are perfect, but some are certainly more reliable than others.

Re-evaluate on turn depending on if he re-raises and if your hand improves.