Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Felt the overpair?

2-5, NL at the Rio, where they allow a mississippi straddle on the button. Villain always straddles the button, and has shown a lot of gamble preflop, cold calling with a very wide range and rarely raising, never reraising. On the flop, he had an aggressive, solid image, and had shown down some big hands in big pots.
Hand:
Button straddles, BB completes the $10 bet, UTG calls, 2 folds, I make it $50 with TT, button calls and UTG calls.

flop is 3d 3h 7d, utg checks, I bet out $100. Button doesn't think too long before tossing out 4 benjamins. UTG folds. I have $270 more... call or fold?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Felt the overpair?

I'd probably felt
Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 PM

yeah
Old 06-07-2007, 09:29 PM

My image had been pretty tight at the table, but I hadn't had anything to work with all night, so no one had seen how I played in a big pot. I had showed down a large bluff on the river 3 hours earlier, but I felt that he made that move with the knowledge that I probably had an over pair and the expectation that I would put all my chips in if I did. Taking all this into account, I folded. If I had it to do over again, I would have probably put the money in just because of the excellent pot odds and the off chance that he had a smaller pair or was on a bluff or semi-bluff. The problem was that I didn't put him on the flush draw or a small pair, as he had shown a willingness to cold call with medium strength hands and draws on the flop and rely on his reads on the turn. However, this was a nice sized pot to move in on with a live draw, so it can't be ruled out. Afer I folded, he showed the ace of spades, which means he either had A3s, A7s, AA, or was completely bluffing with overs. Funny enough, I actually think AA fits his line here best, though A3 works well too. I'm certain that he would've smooth called with AA in that spot preflop, knowing I would probably throw away anything less than kings to a reraise from him. AA matches the betting the best on the flop as well. My $100 represented exactly the type of hand I had... an overpair of some kind, and he decided his best chance to get my entire stack was with one bet on a dry flop that virtually forced me to come along. A7 was not a hand I expected to be in his calling range, so that is the most unlikely. That means the only thing I beat was overcards. Having seen the As I think the fold looks better, as all draws and lower pairs are pretty much ruled out.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:29 PM

Easy call.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:44 AM

Easy Easy call. He's basically play the tournament "you dont got a pair you got AK/AQ go away"