Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: When was that last time you saw a \"Rock\" at your table?

There was definitely a rock at my table a few months ago at Ceasars. Guy was playing MAYBE 5% of his hands.

In fact... he was so much of a rock he would just sit there stone cold and say nothing. Literally we thought the guy wasn't breathing half the time. He looked really depressed too. LOL

Whenever he raised (maybe 1 out of 200 hands)... everyone ran for the hills unless they had the nuts.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Sometime last November Venetian 40-80. Eight chips, two rubber-bands. I miss rocks.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Once in a while you find one in your game. They almost hate to play because they feel most hands lose. When they enter a hand in an aggressive game, it feels like someone pulled the plug on the table. Everyone knows and they check to the rock. The rock checks the flop, hoping to trap, the turn everyone checks, the rock bets in disgust, everyone folds, not even thinking the rock is position betting. Action players hate rocks.

So they learn that they cant bet or they wont get any action. Them betting their hand in a pot is like a guaranteed pull the plug on their action, so they check instead, hoping to induce action, sometimes they get it, sometimes they get rivered by giving free cards. Then they scowl and get get grumpy. In fact, they are always grumpy, this is usually a reliable tipoff.

-J
Old 04-14-2007, 02:13 PM

I have actually had someone literally call me a "rock" in a limit hold em game. I was actually just card dead while playing fairly tight in a loose but not wholly passive game, but for the first hour, the only hands I showed down were big pairs and big aces. Still, so far, I have never been at a live table where I didn't think that I was the tightest player there and occasionally other players notice and comment out loud about it.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:54 PM

CAZ 3-6 weekday @ 11:00AM

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a table that didn't have at least ONE rock.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:00 PM

I ran into one last night. 5-10NL, folded AKs on the button to a raise in front. Why? He only calls with AA, KK, and QQ if he thinks you're a wild youn wipersnapper.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:24 PM

Not since no ante Stud games died off.

Actually, a few can be found in Omaha/8 daytime games. Just look for the guy reading a library book.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have actually had someone literally call me a "rock" in a limit hold em game. I was actually just card dead while playing fairly tight in a loose but not wholly passive game, but for the first hour, the only hands I showed down were big pairs and big aces. Still, so far, I have never been at a live table where I didn't think that I was the tightest player there and occasionally other players notice and comment out loud about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the feeling... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2007, 06:49 PM

I had a rock at one of the 2-4 games I played at the Borgata on Friday night. In 2 hours of play I think he had a VPIP of 0.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:59 PM

There is one in my local underground 1/2NL game. Just one though, and he is probably one of the oldest/grouchiest guys that I ever see there. I think he's roughly 230 years old. He talks about what it was like serving during the war of 1812 often (he has to do something to pass the time between when he's got quads or straight flushes.)