Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Default HU NL/FL Holdem vs assumed donks - best way to play?

I am a mirco/smallstakes player that plays a lot at Everest Poker. This site has a lot of fish. It also offers me regular good reload bonuses.

These reload bonuses have clearing conditions that make it worth while to be the first or second person at a table (doubles your clearing speed while you are at the table -- even when it fills up).
So I start up a lot of tables and play a lot of HU there.

Usually this means I locate an empty table, or 1 with one player, and start playing slowly, hoping more people come in fast. At NL, I quite often face short(ish) stacks, 20-50 BB roughly.

What is a good basic strategy against these people, assuming they are fish?
My basic strategy so far is:
* open-raise anything in the top 50% or so range of hands from the SB/button
* fold most anything else, but sometimes limp hands like J6s/85o just to see how they respond to this.
* Call a lot from the BB, 3-bet anything with 2 pictures or otherwise looking good (77+).

On the flop, I c-bet raises a lot until I get a feel for my opponents play. I often call c-bets with any pair, overcards.

My object in playing these HU phases is rather tight: I am willing to forfeit some chances rather than risking my stack, but this is balanced my my normal style which is high variance. I won't lay down 2-pair very easily, for example.

OK, that's a lot of talk. My general question is: what are good preflop ranges against generic fishy villains? What are adjustments for observed tightness/looseness?

I am wondering