Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 04:17 PM

Default New Career-Brag Post

So, a little background first. I graduated from UCSD in 2000 with a degree in Economics. I worked in Financial Planning for about 3 years after graduating and ended that career as the Director of Financial Planning for a boutique firm in Orange County. After that, I developed a career as a Real Estate Loan Officer in both the OC and Las Vegas and have been doing that for the past 3 years.

I've become SO tired and disinterested in Financial Sales and the people in the industry. So about a month ago, I decided that what really interests and motivates me is financial analysis and research. I resigned from my job and began applying to Real Estate Investment, Development and Consulting Firms like crazy for a position as a Financial Analyst. Nothing was panning out. Most companies felt that I didn't have enough experience in financial analysis. I even interviewed with a couple of companies in Las Vegas and was willing to move back.

I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to go back to school and get my MA in Economics and get a job that would pay the bills in the meantime. I had a job working as the Financial Manager for my cousin's company lined up but wasn't very excited about it. I also was accepted into an MA program at a local University.

Anyway, I had my resume online at Monster for some Vegas jobs. About a week ago, I noticed a job on Monster that was in the OC that interested me so I updated my information to show an OC address and made one last ditch effort to get a career as a Financial Analyst. The company never responded to the resume I sent, and I felt certain that I was going to have to work for my cousin's company.

This past Monday, A Real Estate Consulting firm called me stating that they had seen my resume on Monster and that they would be interested in meeting with me. I had never changed my resume back, and out of no where, this firm ends up calling me for an interview. I met with them over the past few days and was so impressed with the company and the direction it is heading. I also spoke with a friend of mine who works for a large law firm and asked him if he had ever heard of the company. He hadn't but he spoke to the head of the Real Estate Division at his office at that individual said that the company is very well known and respected in the industry.

Yesterday afternoon they offered me a position as a Real Estate Consultant. This is the exact job that I have been trying to attain for the past month and a half without any success. I am so excited right now and feel so fortunate to have had this opportunity fall into my lap. Moreover, the position is going to pay 30% more than what I was expecting to be offered by the other companies I had been applying to and interviewing with. It really is amazing how life works sometimes. Just when I had given up hope of finding an analyst position that was of interest to me, a preeminent consulting firm that I hadn't even pursued comes along and offers me a position well beyond my expectations.

Sorry if this post is a little long-winded, but I just couldn’t contain my excitement.

Sean
Old 03-24-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: New Career-Brag Post

Awesome. Congrats, and good luck.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:26 PM

Congrats...I'm considering going to UCSD in a similar field (Math + Economics). How was your experience there?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome. Congrats, and good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-24-2006, 05:33 PM

Congrats.

Your sister has great legs.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:36 PM

UCSD is an awesome school and the classes are extremely challenging. Honestly, I wish I had put more effort than I did into my classes. I received good grades but also feel like I could have gotten more out of the classes if I had dedicated more time and interacted more with the professors and TAs. Both programs are top notch in the nation so you will certainly come out with a tremendous education.

Have you been to the campus? La Jolla may be the most amazing location in the world. The campus is also very impressive.

On the social side, you really can't beat San Diego for a college experience. It's a major metropolitan with so much to offer. There's the beach, downtown, old town, and so many other social activities around town. And the students and activities at the school are great too.

If you haven't already been accepted, I wish you the best of luck. If you have, I definitely would put my vote in for UCSD.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats.

Your sister has great legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. It took me a second to get this. I'm thinking, "how does he know my sister?"
Old 03-24-2006, 06:18 PM

Nick,

Is this a firm that works with commercial developers to assess building sites, buying high-rises, etc? Of is this more of a financial firm providing analysis on REITs etc?

Just curious what your job actually is.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick,

Is this a firm that works with commercial developers to assess building sites, buying high-rises, etc? Of is this more of a financial firm providing analysis on REITs etc?

Just curious what your job actually is.

[/ QUOTE ]

They actually work with developers to determine the most efficient way to use land secured financing in order to construct the infrastructure of the developments such as roads and schools. They also determine how to best assess this financing to the properties in the development.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:42 PM

If I wasnt missing a hand I would clap for you