Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 AM

Default How To Structure Corporate Ownership?

I'm in a situation where I have ownership of several lucrative passive sources of income and am looking to set up a business structure to avoid harsh taxation. After some research, I think it would be best (although there's a large probability of me being wrong) if I had a single S Corporation that owned an array of LLCs, which in turn held the assets. Each set subcategory of assets will need a business structure in order to run, and I'm concerned about having one large conglomerate managing everything. MSPaint Diagram here.

I need the S Corporation to fund new projects as they come and not be associated with me as an individual. I'm looking for a structure somewhat resembling how Buffet works through Berkshire.

Is this structure the most efficient way of avoiding high taxation? Will the S Corporation be taxed on the income it takes from each LLC (thusly creating a double taxation situation)? Should the top corporation be a different business type? Is the entire idea of having multiple levels absurd?

Just trying to get this whole situation figured out - thanks a ton guys.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: How To Structure Corporate Ownership?

There are way way too many variables to this question to be able to answer here. You really need to sit down with a CPA and and attorney to figure it out. The best thing would probably be to find a tax lawyer or a CPA/lawyer.