Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 11-04-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Brother-in-law passes away.............question.

Funeral is 1800 miles away........time restrictions and money may keep me from attending funeral.

This is making me feel guilty.......any solutions?????
Old 11-04-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Brother-in-law passes away.............question.

yeah...go.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:53 PM

call up an airline, find about their grievance rates. they'll ask you for the death certificate for proof. you can get it from the family by telling them you're going to make a scrapbook.

seriosuly though, if you really cannot make it due to financial concerns, send flowers and a card or something. why don't you talk to your family about this and see if they will help you pay for it, etc.?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:52 PM

I wrote out a few sentences on why it would be ok not to go, and then I thought about it more as if I was in your shoes and realized that it is harder to answer.

I think due to money and time, your family should understand. I would call and say sorry, send flowers/cards anything that at least makes it look like you made an attempt to think about it in your absence.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 AM

I'm not sure about how close your family is, but for me this would be a no-brainer attendance. I also don't know about your money problem, but I honestly can't think of any time commitments that I wouldn't cancel to attend the funeral of a brother-in-law.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about how close your family is, but for me this would be a no-brainer attendance. I also don't know about your money problem, but I honestly can't think of any time commitments that I wouldn't cancel to attend the funeral of a brother-in-law.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. at the very least, "I'm not sure about how close your family is, but for me this would be a no-brainer talk to your family."

I mean if you are flat broke and attending would also mean missing the bar exam which would screw over your employment, etc., etc. then it would be understandable to not go, but at the very least, this has got to be something you can openly discuss with your family, if not the ones directly related to the deceased. if you really can't go you need to enlist your family members to back you up on the "he tried his hardest to make it"
Old 11-05-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call up an airline, find about their grievance rates. they'll ask you for the death certificate for proof. you can get it from the family by telling them you're going to make a scrapbook.

seriosuly though, if you really cannot make it due to financial concerns, send flowers and a card or something. why don't you talk to your family about this and see if they will help you pay for it, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even need a death certificate for it (at least when I did it), just the name of the coroner or the name of the funeral home and the dudes name who died.

Just don't try it by calling Delta. The Indian dude on the line will be confused and try to sell you tickets to Hawaii or Alaska.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:50 PM

TC,

It's a Seinfeld reference.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Feel less guilty.