Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: some facts/opinions on A-rod

[ QUOTE ]
If Texas paid A-Rod to opt out, it's tampering. Ain't gonna happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas wouldn't pay A-Rod to opt out.

I see the problem. The Yankees own the contract and they would not allow Boras to negotiate a lower subsidy from Texas.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 PM

Help me here.. If A-Rod opts out of the extension, then Texas is off the hook even if he signs with the Yankees?

What if Yankees extend A-rod, and then trade him (with A-rods approval) right away? Would Texas owe $$ to the new team?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Help me here.. If A-Rod opts out of the extension, then Texas is off the hook even if he signs with the Yankees?

What if Yankees extend A-rod, and then trade him (with A-rods approval) right away? Would Texas owe $$ to the new team?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been told the money goes away if he's traded, but I don't have a definitive source for that.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Boras is looking for 10 years, $300m.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Boras reality distortion zone, he's also looking for team ownership, partial ownership of a broadcast network, and a city to abandon all current gods, and declare A-Rod the only true divine entity.

He won't get more than 7 years and he's unlikely to get $30M per year. $30M per year would be an annual salary almost 50% higher than the current 2nd best salary (Jeter?). It's a stretch to think he'd not only get paid 50% more per year but also lock it down until he's 42 years old. Teams aren't going to want any part of his 40 year old season in the deal. They know that Barry was also very healthy through his career but missed lots of games in his age 38, 40, 41, and 42 seasons.

What Boras doesn't say is A-Rod's previous deal was a huge bust for the buyer who paid almost 50% above what the market was offering. And that deal was for a 25 year old A-Rod, not a 32 year old A-Rod. I don't see this happening again.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 AM

If whatever deal arod signs isn't enormously huge and for 7+ years, it wont be because GMs all of a sudden rationalized up and stopped doing stupid [censored], it will because arod realizes that he is going to earn over 500mm + endorsements over the course of his life and is going to decide where he signs by where he can win a WS and wants his family to live. Boras notwithstanding, he is not necessarily going to squeeze every last mil he can get out of whatever team signs him, if he wants to play for NY or LA he is going to pass up some 300/10 offer from somewhere else.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If whatever deal arod signs isn't enormously huge and for 7+ years, it wont be because GMs all of a sudden rationalized up and stopped doing stupid [censored], it will because arod realizes that he is going to earn over 500mm + endorsements over the course of his life and is going todecide where he signs by where he can win a WS and wants his family to live. Boras notwithstanding, he is not necessarily going to squeeze every last mil he can get out of whatever team signs him , if he wants to play for NY or LA he is going to pass up some 300/10 offer from somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't this been his MO? If you or I had as much money as he does now then I don't think we'd worry too much about an extra couple million bucks. I'd definitely worry about going to a good baseball town, that's a nice place for my family, and has a good shot to win the WS. Given the whole "wanting to win a championship thing", how attractive is NY looking right now given the turmoil surrounding Torre and what not?