Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: New York Knicks \'07-\'08 playoffs or Busto thread

OK I found some info. The buy out amount counts against the cap. I found it here: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#60

[ QUOTE ]
The agreed-upon buy-out amount (see question number 59) is included in the team salary instead of the salary called for in the contract. If the player had more than one season left on his contract, then the buy-out money is distributed among those seasons in proportion to the original salary. For example, say a player had three seasons remaining on his contract, with salaries of $10 million, $11 million and $12 million. The player and team agree to a buyout of $15 million. The $15 million is therefore charged to the team salary over the three seasons. Since the original contract had $33 million left to be paid, and $10 million is 30.3% of $33 million, 30.3% of the $15 million buyout, or $4.545 million, is included in the team salary in the first season following the buyout. Likewise, 33.33% of $15 million, or $5 million, is included in the team salary in the second season, and 36.36% of $15 million, or $5.455 million, is included in the team salary in the third season.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that was the whole point of a buy out. To save the money. i.e., the reason the Knicks bought out Jalen Rose and the Blazers bought out Steve Francis. I'm googling now.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't save any money. You pay the whatever the buyout is and it counts against the cap.

edit i see you've found that out yourself
Old 11-14-2007, 12:41 AM

man the suns make the eastern conference look bad
Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought that was the whole point of a buy out. To save the money. i.e., the reason the Knicks bought out Jalen Rose and the Blazers bought out Steve Francis. I'm googling now.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't save any money. You pay the whatever the buyout is and it counts against the cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NBA salary cap is so arbitrary and stupid. End it please so the Knicks can have a $300,000,000 payroll and be good.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:07 AM

Knicks are an enigmatic team. I think more than any other team, you could have a very wide view of how good they are. They have at least 8 solid (or better) guys, and some really tough guys to cover. However they are all horribly flawed. A diehard NY fan will be able to see the best in each guy, and envision perfect cohesion. But just about each guy has serious issues, and for most of them, it is defense.

-Curry and Randolph will be really hard to stop down low. Randolph can create his own shot, and Curry takes up a ton of space. But neither one is a good defender or shot blocker. And while Randolph isn't a bad rebounder, he isn't great when compared to other 2nd tier power forwards.
-David lee is a great rebounder and hustle guy, but isn't a great on the ball defender, and can't create his own shot.
-Marbury is a malcontent and a loser. His abilities are diminishing, and yes, he just today decided not to travel with the team
-Crawford has unlimited range. He can hit 40 foot 3's. The problem is, he takes 40 foot 3's. Also, with his build, he can't really defend any real shooting guards.
-Nate Robinson has a lot of energy off the bench. Very athletic, and even has a little range on his jumper. And by all accounts, he seems to have matured from last year. But no matter how you slice it, a 5'7" shooting guard is a huge defensive liability, even if he gets a steal or two a game.
-Overall PG play is a problem, with no good defenders and all of them looking for their shots before distributing
-Their best defender/energy guy is Balkman. Unfortunately he is clueless with the ball in his hands.

Overall they have a lot of interesting players. But too many headcases, no pass first guys, only 1 or 2 guys play any defense to speak of (and they aren't bigs or PG's), and oh yeah, they are being led by Isaiah. I wouldn't trust any man to lead an organization who has the lack of discretion to sexually harass Anucha Browne Sanders when any one of the knicks city dancers would have been a far better choice. I see them winning 30+ games on talent alone, but they should fall short of the playoffs. Their talent is intriguing, but I see them coming up short in the suddenly deep Eastern Conference.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It also saves you from the luxury tax on the contract.

The Blazers also had a clause in the buyout that said if Francis signed with a team that summer (which he did), the Blazers would get 50% back.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Anyone want to offer revised predictions about the season?

I'm cautiously optimistic that the Knicks will still exist come February.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, Isiah is stupid. Dont know what to say. The playcalling at the end of the clips/knicks game was awful. Lee getting only 18 mins or so in that game is outrageous, i think he grabbed 9 boards in that span! Balkman DNP is weird, too.

Wow, I wish I was an NBA gm and/or coach. How do these guys do such a bad job?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, Isiah is stupid. Dont know what to say. The playcalling at the end of the clips/knicks game was awful. Lee getting only 18 mins or so in that game is outrageous, i think he grabbed 9 boards in that span! Balkman DNP is weird, too.

Wow, I wish I was an NBA gm and/or coach. How do these guys do such a bad job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some random people would probably do decent jobs as GM's, but I think you are underestimating how hard of a job it is to coach in the NBA. I think Isiah is an awful coach, but he does a way better job than I could.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:30 PM

you're underestimating how hard it is to GM