Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 12-07-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Tell me about Winston-Salem, NC (x-post from OOT)

I have an interview there next week. If I take it, I will not be making much money, so cost of living insights would be very helpful.

I visited a couple of times while I was at Duke, but I don't remember much about it except for a T-shirt this chick was wearing that said "Sex kills, come to Wake Forest and live forever."

Tell me about it Deacs.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Tell me about Winston-Salem, NC (x-post from OOT)

Lol. Yeah people would say that around the time I was a freshmen, but towards my senior year it seemed to go the other way.

I lived in Crowne Oaks Apts senior year. 3br/2bath about 1400 sqr ft for 1150/month. Electric was maybe 80 I think, including our washer/dryer/dishwasher. I think cable tv/internet was about 100, with a reasonable package. There is a pool, but the gym sucks in pretty much all the apt places. It wasn't loud at all, Wake students generaly arent noisy I don't think, except for houses/houses own by fraternities. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the way the Crowne Oaks apts were laid out in terms of the actual apt. The master bedroom is right next to the stairs so you hear people walking up, and the walls are a little thin. probably I would pay the extra 100 and live in Crowne Polo.

Deacon Ridge was a new place that just started being available to live in when I was a senior, but it was Condos I believe that you had to buy, and then people would rent them out to students. My friends had visited (I never did) and said they were *very* nice, and cheaper than our setup.

Crowne Polo was the most expensive place, but not that much more than us (maybe 150 month more I think). There's one other place that was in the middle price wise that I cant remember the name of. Most people who lived off campus lived in one of these three places for the most part, unless they lived in a house. Some people lived in other apt places like "the woods" and "the trails", but they were the minority I think, and generally those places were cheaper, but farther away and definatly not as nice.

I'm back in Boston now, and yeah things are way cheaper obviously in NC. I mean its hard to say exactly what hte cost of living unless you ask questions to compare it to something or how much does x cost. I know that you could get a really good dinner at some of the best places in town and not spend more than $30, which is just starting price at some places in Boston.

Wear your Duke class ring and you'll probably either have girls drooling at you (even if you're ugly, which you probably are cuz you went to Duke) or spitting at you because North Carolinians hate Duke.

Also, use rent.com if you do rent somewhere, they have all kinds of coupons and stuff that we used back 2 years ago.