Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: TV in the Lounge, Fall 07 Edition

[ QUOTE ]

I watched it for the first time last night (with my Mom!) Not bad...kind of soap opera-like...phenomenal cast, though. How the heck do they pay them all???

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of great actors on this show. They don't typically have famous guests though. That was kind of cool to see Chevy Chase (that was him wasn't it?) as well as Lyle Lovett. Which girl did you like the best Dom? Lots of pretty girls on there right now! I like the girl who plays Lena.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:26 PM

Katy,

You excited for the DwtS finale tonight? I'm probably going to be slow w/ my review, though.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:31 PM

is tonight the finale?? Whoa, I didn't know that. Where have I been? I thought we had 2 more weeks [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Let's see, I will predict Mel B [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I watched it for the first time last night (with my Mom!) Not bad...kind of soap opera-like...phenomenal cast, though. How the heck do they pay them all???

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of great actors on this show. They don't typically have famous guests though. That was kind of cool to see Chevy Chase (that was him wasn't it?) as well as Lyle Lovett. Which girl did you like the best Dom? Lots of pretty girls on there right now! I like the girl who plays Lena.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rachel Griffiths is damn sexy. I'm amazed Ally McBeal still looks exactly as she did ten years ago. I also found the young mother quite attractive, as well as the girl her husband apparently had an affair with.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 AM

So who watched Dancing With The Stars last night? Did you like it?

I thought it was a little underwhelming myself. I enjoyed Mel B's cha cha (or whatever her first dance was). It looked complex and very fast, but I felt like she was concentrating so hard that it lost a little something. (Max looked fine [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

I also liked Helio's last dance. It was a lot of fun and he did some tricky lifts. He looked like a Power Ranger didn't he?

But overall it was kind of a weird show. I would have preferred more classic ballroom dances. Give me a Viennese Waltz people!

I'm sticking with my Mel B prediction. Marie has got to go. If she wins I am going to boycott this show.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 PM

Unfortunately, Katy, I think Marie is going to win. I'll get to why in just a second, though.

You're right about Mel's cha cha. I thought she was given a present on a silver platter by getting a latin dance, but she underperformed. Her technique was good, but the energy and the performance we've seen in her paso dobles and other later dances was missing. At first I thought this judges' choice was a dance to make her shine, but it ended up being a real test. She didn't exactly pass. The scores were harsh, but I don't mind the judges being harsher for the finale.

Well, I predicted the dance that would break Marie, and break her it did. She got her hips going when that was the only thing going on, but when she was actually doing samba steps, her hips were flat because her footwork was terrible. Her fluff was fine, but the meat of the dance wasn't there at all. I agreed with the scores.

Like the cha cha for Mel, I didn't think that jive would be a real test of Helio, but it turned out to be a dance that broke him, too. The toe-heel-crosses at the beginning of the routine were a miserable failure. I haven't seen a dancer fail to get those going as hard as Helio did outside of people who get voted out in the first few weeks. His feet were flexed instead of pointed, and his arms weren't really extending properly. His energy was fun, but this was a big step backwards on his technique.

Mel had a 3 point lead after the first round, so all she had to do to lock up the top spot w/ the judges was score a 28 or higher. I thought she easily had that in her, but she left the door open for Helio. She really reminded me of Stacy Kiebler here, where she'd been doing so well, but then her freestyle fell flat. The choreography was too simple, the music was weird, and it seemed to showcase Max more than Mel. I was underwhelmed with the choice of lifts. The one where she was in the splits over Max's head didn't look very graceful, although the last trick they did near the end was both impressive and tough. I think the 27 she got was fair.

A friend of mine thought Marie's dance was a total trainwreck, but I didn't think it was quite that bad. The doll thing kinda worked for her, since it allowed her to have terrible technique, and it fit with her character. Still, it wasn't great, and she had that stumble at the end. I think this routine and this character would have worked better with better music. The Rolling Stones didn't fit.

Helio either rolls the dice very well, or he is in right with the right people. He's always getting the last spot, which, at least for American Idol, is regarded as the best place to be. His routine was fantastic, and the choreography was top notch. The energy was through the roof, and the tricks, most of which were very difficult, just kept coming. Did you recognize the cartwheel thing they did, Katy? You might remember it from Pasha's west coast swing routine on SYTYCD. Still, Carrie Ann was right, that Helio was awkward coming out of a few of the lifts, one in the middle in particular. Still, this was by far the best routine of the night.

I'll brb w/ why I think Marie will win.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one where she was in the splits over Max's head didn't look very graceful, although the last trick they did near the end was both impressive and tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol! Agree with you that the music for Mel's 2nd dance was weird as hell. Also, I know exactly which lift you are talking about. You're right, it didn't look very graceful at all! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine thought Marie's dance was a total trainwreck, but I didn't think it was quite that bad. The doll thing kinda worked for her, since it allowed her to have terrible technique, and it fit with her character. Still, it wasn't great, and she had that stumble at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why but I sort of felt like Jonathon was dragging and pushing her around all night. It was like he was dragging a sack of potatoes across the floor and all she had to do was flop around and fling herself upside down over his legs a lot.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine thought Marie's dance was a total trainwreck, but I didn't think it was quite that bad. The doll thing kinda worked for her, since it allowed her to have terrible technique, and it fit with her character. Still, it wasn't great, and she had that stumble at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

any woman over 40 who dresses like that always reminds me of:

Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 PM

He was flopping her around, yes, but that was the point. She was supposed to be a doll.

OK, so, here's why I think Marie will win. Marie finished in third place w/ the judges. Helio finished in second, and Mel in first. The most likely scenario for votes I think will be just the opposite: Marie in first, Helio second, and Mel in third. Helio was certainly getting the crowd more worked up than Mel was. Since the final score is based only on the ranking, this would leave all three dancers in essentially a tie. In the event of a tie, the audience score counts more, so this means Marie will win, Helio second, and Mel third. Now, there are some things that could change this:

1. Most notably, I guess they're eliminating third place before the final dance. Only the top two couples will dance their third routine tonight. I can't for the life of me figure out if there is any way for this last dance to change anything if the third place dancer is eliminated. Let's assume I'm right, and that Mel is eliminated third. Then what? Does Helio get the top spot by the judges, since he'll probably have 80-some points compared to Mel, who gets left in the dust with just 55? Well, that'd be nice, but by that same reasoning, then, Marie will get the second spot with 70-some points, so her first place votes will still trump Helio's second place votes. And heck, if Helio were to just go out and do the funky chicken for a minute and a half instead of doing a real dance to let Marie pass him up, well, it wouldn't change much. Marie would still win. The only way it might change things is if...

2. Helio pulls the huge upset and gets first place votes. If he pulls that off, all will be fair and just in the world. Helio will win, Mel will come in second, and Marie will finish in third. In this scenario, though, the third dance still doesn't count, since Helio can go out and do a minute and a half of the funky chicken again and his first place votes will be enough to carry him to victory.

3. Mel pulls the even bigger upset and gets second place votes over Helio. This will be like scenario 1, except Helio gets knocked out third and Mel does the funky chicken. I think this would be a pretty big upset since Helio looked so good last night and since he's never been in the bottom two.

4. Mel pulls the upset of all upsets and gets first place votes. In that scenario, Mel wins whether or not she does the funky chicken, Helio gets second, and Marie is once again third.

If Helio had gotten that third 10 from Carrie Ann, we wouldn't be having this conversation, then he'd have first place judges and second place votes, which is what Drew Lachey had to beat out Jerry Rice. This time, though, since I don't think the person who's at the top of the judges' board will get second place votes, it's the perfect storm that will allow Marie to win. Alternatively, if all three dancers danced the final dance, then if Helio passed up Mel, we'd once again have Marie finishing second. I think that eliminating third place before they dance their last dance essentially creates a two-man final that allows the worst dancer to win easily.

Heh. You'll like this, Katy. I was looking at Wikipedia to verify the scores, and I came across a little gem from Max. Apparently on the show Extra, he went on the record before the finale to say “Frankly, I think there were a lot of other people better than Marie.”
Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 PM

I might be tempted to watch if they did the Funky Chicken!
Oh, That's right I, will have to watch tonight. I'm married. :-)