Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:32 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: TAG vs LAG stats?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is the aggression factor usually for a TAG/LAG?

[/ QUOTE ]

No less than 2.0.

[/ QUOTE ]
So someone less than 2 we would classify as very passive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, though in my opinion you should keep your AF above 2.0.

Here's where I would put the ranges:

Below 0.5 Very passive
0.5 - 1.0 Passive
1.0 - 1.5 Neither passive nor aggressive
1.5 - 2.0 Somewhat aggressive
Over 2.0 Aggressive

Originally I was going to put 3.0 down as "very aggressive" and 4.0 as "kamikaze," but in general the difference between 2.5 and 3.2 is much less than 0.5 and 1.2. As long as your AF isn't manically high, anything above 2.0 is good.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:49 PM

Aggression factor is a bad measure of aggression. It is simply the ratio of bets (and raises) to calls. As such it is possible for a player to have a very high aggression factor just by not calling very frequently - even though they don't bet (or raise) frequently either. Aggression frequency is a much better measure of aggression.

Lucky
Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Aggression factor is a bad measure of aggression. It is simply the ratio of bets (and raises) to calls. As such it is possible for a player to have a very high aggression factor just by not calling very frequently - even though they don't bet (or raise) frequently either. Aggression frequency is a much better measure of aggression.

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]
How is aggr. frequency calculated? What numbers would you use to classify an opponent?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]
How is aggr. frequency calculated? What numbers would you use to classify an opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aggression frequency is just the percent of the time someone bets (or raises) when it is their turn to act.

I typically don't go about classifying people - but if I an aggression frequency but aggressive players typically have by street frequencies around 30% and 50% (and maybe higher on the flop depending on their pre-flop game).

I've actually gone away from using a HUD lately because I think I play better without it. With the HUD on I tend to weight the player too much at the expense of the situation.

Lucky
Old 11-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is a person's VPIP when looking at their aggression factor (or frequency).

A person with a VPIP of 50%, but with an aggression factor of 2 is probably a maniac. But someone with a VPIP of 12% and a AF of 2 is quite passive.

In practical terms, it means the guy who has a VPIP of 50% (who has a wide range of starting hands) is raising the same ratio of times as the guy who only has a VPIP of 12% (and is only playing premium hands).
Old 11-15-2007, 10:17 PM

If they have a VPIP of 12-18 and af of 3-4+, this is TAG?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:53 PM

Yes, I would definitely say that's TAG.