Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: school confiscates cell phone, lawyer dad is mad?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how is seizure of property ok if it's a knife?

[/ QUOTE ]

i responded to that already. if the property does not present a threat of harm it is fine...

if it presents a threat then the owner does not have the same rights. if it is actually used to inflict physical harm then it is even more imperitive that action is taken against the owner.

this is very very obvious stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a cell phone camera that can take upskirt photos of 12 year old girls presents no threat of harm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go again......

This is a crime and should be treated as such.

Thought crimes are not (yet) crimes, nor are "potential" crimes.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok so what is the solution to this problem? what if i come in every day with a loud siren?

[/ QUOTE ]

youre removed from school along w/ your siren.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok so you are all for instant removal of any student found with a cell phone?

i am not bent on confiscating cell phones or anything, i just am in favor of measures that will actually punish the student and that will increase in severity the more times the offense is committed

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i responded to that already. if the property does not present a threat of harm it is fine...

if it presents a threat then the owner does not have the same rights. if it is actually used to inflict physical harm then it is even more imperitive that action is taken against the owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a cell phone camera that can take upskirt photos of 12 year old girls presents no threat of harm?

[/ QUOTE ]

that same cell phone can call 911 in case there's a fire in the school. what a dilemma
Old 02-02-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok so what is the solution to this problem? what if i come in every day with a loud siren?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the short bus you go.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have made a lot of streches. Obviously something like that would have a LOT more punishment involved. I'm sure you could kill or severly hurt someone with a compass or a pen, that doesnt mean we cant have them on us.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
/

Some folks here seem to get a little too much enjoyment out of striving to make the school more gulag-esque.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It is the responsiblity of the school to try and provide the most safe and condusive environment to learning.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree w/ people who suggested detention, etc, that may lead to removal from school.

are you suggested confiscating anything it's against the rules for children to have at school?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was midway through an edit as you posted this. so make sure you scroll of and check out my bit on non-physical harm.

this is the important point.

a pencil CAN inflict harm.

however, there is no reason to steal someone's pencil because they COULD hurt you with it.

if they threaten you with the pencil, some action may be warranted (depending on the threat, different actions may be warranted).

if they actually stab you with the pencil, action is definitely warranted. they compromised your rights. it is your fundamental right to stop that action.

the cell phone case is similar. that is my argument. there is no reason to punish innocent parties. there is no reason to prevent good people from using a cell phone.

if someone abuses things. that should be taken care of in an effective manner that doesn't trample on anyone's rights as a human being.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree w/ people who suggested detention, etc, that may lead to removal from school.

are you suggested confiscating anything it's against the rules for children to have at school?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am not bent on confiscation. it's just that i can only imagine trying to teach a class and kids are pulling out PSP's, cell phones, even a comic book. if i catch a kid reading a comic book in my class, what will i say? well i'd probably say "hey put that away", and hopefully they would put it away. but what if it came out again 10 minutes later? would i simply ask that it be put away again? what should i do? should i throw him out of class? give detention? what is really in the best interest of the kid here? that's what should be thought of. i could simply take the comic book away and give it back after class. but what if he keeps bringing it in every day and i keep taking it away?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go again......

This is a crime and should be treated as such.

Thought crimes are not (yet) crimes, nor are "potential" crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's school. It is reasonable for parent to believe that the school provides a safe environment for their child. This includes emotional as well as physical safety.

Being able to prevent something that is reasonably foreseeable (adolescents taking unwanted pictures of other students) is not being the thought police, it's accepting responsibility for the minors that are under your control.

Our district has a zero tolerance policy on bullying. This includes 3 people teasing the kid with braces or glasses. That policy is in place to prevent much worse things from happening. I'm sure this is unacceptable to you because it prevents the students from expressing their 1st Amendment rights of free speech.