Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 AM

Default SB defence range in playing 3handed

edit: 1/2 blind structure

button is a LAG. he is raising the button about 65% of the time. he is mediocre postflop; peels too light, calls down too light, gives too much action with his hands

BB is the same kind of guy. he's going to be playing around 70% of hands.
edit: he will cap the top 10% of hands

what do you think is a good range for defending your SB playing 3 handed? how did you make this range up?
are you always 3betting?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Re: SB defence range in playing 3handed

1/2 blind structure?

You are going to see lots of showdowns, so you are going to play mostly showdown types of hands and 3 bet. If you get a hand like JTs, cold call and let the BB in.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:16 AM

Tough spot. K9s+ KTo+ A6-A7o+ Axs+ QJs maybe JTs and QJo seem about right from an equity standpoint but im not sure how postflop playability factors in. Cold calling JTs J9s T9s might be ok too.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 AM

I would play pretty tight in this situation. I mean you're going to be OOP vs. 2 LAGs most of the time whether you raise or call.

Made up with little thought (after a ten hour day): 44 A5s A7o K7s K8o Q9s QTo J9s T9s. That's likely too tight but w/e you can defend more if you develop good control of them or feel for what they're going to do postflop. Calling some or only 3-betting has to do with how much BB is 3-betting. If it's a lot, calling is going to put you in some hideous spots in big pots.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:30 AM

I think this BB changes whether you re-raise or call. He is probably folding to a lot of 3-bets, but after a while he will be 4 betting along with button and soon everyone will be in for a cap with rags and you'll have no idea where you are.

smaller s/connectors I'd probably call, maybe down to T9s if things get really maniacal. I don't think I'd be loosening up too much from a standard SB defense, although I'd add in a few more crappy aces and kings.

You have relatively less to defend with your SB. The only overlay is the BB's dead money if he folds to your 3-bet......

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BB is the same kind of guy. he's going to be playing around 70% of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....which probably isn't going to happen too much. I'd rather fold a marginal SD hand than be in for a cap 3-way with nothing and sitting between 2 maniacs.

I prefer not to play these guys really short-handed, but if they're pretty dumb postflop, it can be a real money-spinner.

NC/LC sidenote: I follow a guy like this around. He loves playing HU or 3-way beacuse he can bully people around. If I see him I wait until I can sit to his left as I've played tonnes of hands with him but he doesn't really know it (I have several sn on the same site).
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would play pretty tight in this situation. I mean you're going to be OOP vs. 2 LAGs most of the time whether you raise or call.

Made up with little thought (after a ten hour day): 44 A5s A7o K7s K8o Q9s QTo J9s T9s. That's likely too tight but w/e you can defend more if you develop good control of them or feel for what they're going to do postflop. Calling some or only 3-betting has to do with how much BB is 3-betting. If it's a lot, calling is going to put you in some hideous spots in big pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you calling with the stuff like QTo Q9s? I was locked in the mindset of 3 bet or fold in the sb, but I think calling frequently might be appropriate.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 AM

I think calling a fair amount in the SB with marginal hands is better in these type of games as long as your opponents don't adjust properly. That is, if they still peel way too loose and go to showdown too loose, then it makes sense to play closer to a "fit or fold" strategy in which case you have little interest in bloating the pot preflop unless your equity edge is very large.

I'd 3bet medium (55+) pairs, goodish aces (A7+/A4s+) and good kings (KT+). I'd be open to calling with other playable hands, the suited connectors and two small broadway type hands. Obviously, this is a very exploitable strategy but I would expect that it would take some time for a good player to figure out what you are doing and that these guys aren't going to catch on for a long time or adjust properly.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 AM

This is a spot where I'll coldcall alot more than usual. Our fold equity goes down in this situation, but our implied odds go up. I'd still 3 bet hands with an equity edge, especially those with showdown value, but I'm coldcalling alot of the implied odds hands. BTW is that 30% number BB folding for 2 cold or 1 bet?

I haven't done extensive stoving, mostly going by intuition, but my rough range would be JT+, 87s+, K9+, K4s+, Q7s+, A5+, A2s+, 44+. I'm 3 betting any Ax or pocket pair, most Kx, and big suited broadways that have an equity edge.

Edit: For some reason I thought BB was only 3 betting 10%, seems like we'll be getting 3 bet alot more than I first thought. With this in mind I might ditch some of the lower stuff depending on how often he 3 bets.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:57 PM

thanks for the replies guys

I have been playing raise or fold in this spot, with my 3bet range being something close to [A5o+, K9o+, A2s+, K6s+, Q8s+, Q9o+, 44+, TJo+, 89s+]. I am going to try calling some weaker hands like K8o, K4s, Q8o, 97s and some of the bottom hands from my 3bet range like 89s TJo
Old 09-08-2007, 02:14 PM

shade more towards showdownable hands, A2o>98s in this spot. I'd cool call a lot though, hands like QJ/QTs, 44, 98s.