Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 AM

Default 5-10NL AKs tough spot ... can yo do better?

I am playing 5-10NL on full tilt. I have been playing aggressive and 3-betting a lot. I have a VPIP > 20 and pfr of about 17% (same as my previous post if you saw it).

I have AcKc utg and pot it. I have about $1000 in front of me but have been up and down this sesson. Folded to SB who 3-bets me. He has me well covered and is TAG and has not been playing back at so I elect to call and dump it unless I flop it good (mistake?). Flop comes

Js Jc Tc

There is 280 in the pot. I have 940 left and he has me covered. I think it is highly unlikely he would 3-bet me with AJ, so the danger hands in my view are AA, KK, QQ, possibly TT, but I doubt it. I am even money against everything but TT and in fact am even money vs JJ but think he might lay down AA or KK but not AJ, so that's why it's significant that I don't think he has it.

He bets out 100. Huh? What do do? I raise to 460 thinking I have fold equity and an insta call if he pushes. He pushes.

Questions: Is this a good line? Are there better lines? Is there any basis for just calling on the flop? For 4-betting pre-flop?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: 5-10NL AKs tough spot ... can yo do better?

i think id raise less, perhaps more like 340.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 AM

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but that donk $100 bet seems like one that is begging for a raise. Having said that, I would consider a 4-bet PF with the intention of getting the money in on the flop.

Based on the way you played it - I prefer a call on the flop with the hope of improving but also happy to throw a semi-bluff turn raise...

I try to not give those donk betters what they want. I feel a flop call on your part is the last thing they want to see and gives you the most chance of a) improving or b) setting up a more convincing turn move if unimproved.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:12 AM

The thing about raising is that TT is rele the only hand you can have here that opens UTG and flatcalls a reraise (JJ wouldn't c/r with quads here...). If you think about it, the only hands you can have are air or a draw. In that case, since all of his range shoves on you if you c/r, I'd say the best solution is to flatcall flop with position, because with his range, he's never folding, and you can never have Jx here, so he assumes you're drawing or have air and shoves on u all day.