Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Can someone please help me explain why I lose all the time?

Wonderfull topic aint it? Im so frustrated right now, I'm ready to quit... Again.. I know I haven't been on the forums that long but I need help bad, constructive critisizm, ragg on me, whatever, I need to find out what I'm doing wrong when I donk off my entire stack the day after I deposit.

Here's the deal. About a year ago I would deposit $100 into my FT account about once a week, and lose it immediately, only to deposit more. So I quit. Then a couple weeks ago I bought 2 books, "Getting Started in Hold'em" and Small Stakes Hold'em. I finished the first book relatively quickly, wrote notes, did almost exactly what it said to do. So I decided to deposit $300 this past weekend.

I sat at a 1/2NL 6 ring, with $60. I decided to "shortstack" the table. folding, folding, waiting for my hands and eventually I doubled (about an hour), so I split the winnings into a second table.

At that table also I was doing excellent. Up over $400 profit in less than 2 hours from both tables, with my initial deposit still in my account, I was flyin high at that point.

I decided I was better than the game so I moved to 2/4NL 6 ring. Not doing as well as the 1/2NL but not losing either. Eventually I had close to $900 PROFIT in my account in one day.

I stopped for the night feeling good. Woke up the next morning at hit the computer immediately. Opened 2 2/4NL rings for $80 buy in's each and proceeded to lose from hand one. I was fluctuating up and down all day till the heartbreaker came.

2/4NL 6 player Max
Hero on the button
Hero A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero raises to 4.5 times the big blind

Everyone folds to cutoff
Villian calls

Flop
10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian bets the pot
Hero raises 3x the pot
Villain calls

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets the pot
Villain calls

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

So I got 2 pair, thinking im in dam decent shape I go all in.

Pot is now almost $1000

Villain insta-calls

Villain shows a boat 6's full

I just about lost my head over this one, tilted instantly, how could someone call a preflop 3x raise with 10 friggin 6 offsuit?

So I stayed on after that and continued to lose my entire bankroll. I now have 4 cents in my account. Yay for me!

So, can you guys PLEASE help me and tell me what the hell im doing wrong, what I need to do, or if anyone wants to coach. Any help is apreciated. Im so pissed right now, I should just kill myself I think.

Thanks guys

DanielJay
Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Can someone please help me explain why I lose all the time?

Don't shortstack. Don't play when you're tilting. Drop down levels. Don't think on the board above "So I got 2 pair, thinking im in dam decent shape I go all in."
Old 10-09-2007, 11:11 AM

With a $100 roll you are not even close to those limits. You really should be playing 5nl with that roll. What you experienced in the hand above is called variance and you really have to be rolled properly to maki it through the inherent ups and downs.

My advice is:
1) Play within your roll (20-30 buy ins at the level you play)
2) Read the forums religiously, it is where I learned most of what I now know.
3) Invest in Pokertracker so you can go back over sessions and see what mistakes you made, and helps you make a more informed decision about when to get your money in.
4) When you feel tilted, like when someone makes a boat in a hand he should have never been in, TAKE A BREAK.

The most important thing IMO to not go busto is to practice proper bankroll management. I maintain around 1000 online and I am rolled for nl25, marginally rolled for nl50 but I live at nl25. It is my comfort zone and where I have achieved the best winrate. I am not going to make 1000 in one session but I will not lose my roll either.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 AM

The hand you posted is just a bad result. Its not clear to me that you did anything wrong (I probably would have checked the turn back though). By the river you both had less than pot sized bet left and you were probably committed for the rest.

Why do you lose?
- Terrible bankroll management.
- Your probably not that good (you have never been a winner). You almost certainly not good enough to beat $1/2 and $2/4 NLHE - even as a short stacker.
- Variance

Deposit $100-$200 and play 10NL until you earn 15 buyins for the next level. If you do this your game will develope and you will not be at risk of getting outplayed a lot when you do move up in levels.

Lucky
Old 10-09-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how could someone call a preflop 3x raise with 10 friggin 6 offsuit?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's either a bad player who got lucky, or a good player that realized that you stack off light and gave great implied odds.

[ QUOTE ]
Im so pissed right now, I should just kill myself I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do that.

First: Move down! Way down.

Second: Keep moving down until you find a level you can beat consistently. Consistently meaning over thousands and thousands of hands.

Third: Develop a prudent bankroll strategy and only move up as appropriate.

Fourth:????

Fifth: Profit. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Learn bankroll management and understand variance is all I can say.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The hand you posted is just a bad result. Its not clear to me that you did anything wrong (I probably would have checked the turn back though). By the river you both had less than pot sized bet left and you were probably committed for the rest.

Why do you lose?
- Terrible bankroll management.
- Your probably not that good (you have never been a winner). You almost certainly not good enough to beat $1/2 and $2/4 NLHE - even as a short stacker.
- Variance

Deposit $100-$200 and play 10NL until you earn 15 buyins for the next level. If you do this your game will develope and you will not be at risk of getting outplayed a lot when you do move up in levels.

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit it right on the head i think. I can honestly say I have never been at winner,(at poker) becuase 90% of the time I give the winnings right back, only to deposit again, repeat, repeat, over and over.

Heres a question, what is 10NL? I probably just dont understand the abbrieviation. Is that 10 CENT? Or $10 max buy in?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM

$0.05/0.10 blinds with a $10 max buy-in on most sites (AP has a $20 max buy-in for this game).

Lucky
Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 AM

Now im starting to realize how bad I was playing, took a large donation on my part to get the point. Im playing waaaaaay above my level. Thanks for the help. I will move down to the .05/.10 and stay there till I can beat it.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Can someone please help me explain why I lose all theee time?

honestly you shouldnt play near 2/4. you dont have the roll, emotional constituion, or knowledge of key concepts like pot control to play anything above 25nl.