Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Is there a real difference between golf balls?

I can shoot in the 80's, and I'm a huge fan of Titleist NXT Tour. Last time i was at Golfsmith, they had boxes of these that were used (pulled out of water hazards). The company that sells them even went through the effort to make sure they weren't selling balls with scuffs. I think a dozen was $15. Full price, new, they should be around $30 or so. I reccomend these
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 PM

Titleist DT so/lo FTW if you're looking for something thats pretty cheap and good. I haven't really played golf in forever (like 2 years) though so there might be something better out there now.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 PM

I frequently use whatever I happen to find in the woods. If I go out after an outing, I can usually pick up a dozen of whatever brand the pro shop had on sale that day without too much effort.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Yeah, there seems to be a difference, particularly if you have a high enough swing speed for some of the tour-type balls.

I played a Titleist Pro V1 * ball in a scramble a few times, and that ball was scary long - easily 15 yards longer on the driver (which is HUGE) I've also hit the Callaway HX Tour Hot ball (can't remember the exact name), which was also very long.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:38 PM

I know guys who use womens balls because I'm told they are wound tighter for extra distance. People tell me they get an extra 10-20 yards on their drives.

For me though, I'm a hack. I buy Top Flight XL 2000's. I can usually get 36 balls for $15 when they're on sale.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:40 PM

I seem to remember reading a Wall Street Journal article about the insane amount of money spent on golf ball marketing. The point of the article was basically all balls are created equal, but marketing budgets are not.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know guys who use womens balls because I'm told they are wound tighter for extra distance. People tell me they get an extra 10-20 yards on their drives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the opposite. Women's balls are lower compression (and nothing is wound any more, as far as I know) which benefits slower swings.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the opposite. Women's balls are lower compression (and nothing is wound any more, as far as I know) which benefits slower swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct
Old 03-21-2007, 06:28 PM

There is a big difference in balls. Given the choice between having to hit a lousy ball with a $500 driver, or hit a good ball with a $100 driver, I'd take the good ball. By good I mean right for me,not necessarily the most expensive. Not all good balls are the most expensive. One of the longest balls I ever hit was the Wilson Jack that sold very cheaply.

Most of the cheap low compression balls have a lousy feel, I prefer the 2 piece distance balls if you wanna go cheap. I loved the Wilson Jack, as they were scary long but didn't feel that bad around the greens. Pretty sure they are off the market now.

I am a good, not great, golfer with a fast swing so 2 piece distance balls work well for me. If your a decent golfer with a moderate swing you want 2 piece low compresion. If your a great golfer then the really expensive balls will enhance each part of your game, and are worth the expense. So yes, type of golf ball counts.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to remember reading a Wall Street Journal article about the insane amount of money spent on golf ball marketing. The point of the article was basically all balls are created equal, but marketing budgets are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

the wall street journal is dumb.