Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Heyman: Miggy is on the block.

[ QUOTE ]
But you mentioned Ellsbury + Lester as the centerpiece. I don't want to give up guys like that who can play and contribute on the 25 man roster at real cheap dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

MIGUEL CABRERA IS CHEAP. TRADING THOSE TWO FOR HIM WOULD BE A RIDICULOUS STEAL.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You keep and play your top prospects for cost control and then when there is a top free agent availbable on the market you are in a great position to land him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you stupid? Miguel Cabrera is a top five position player RIGHT NOW. He is also arbitration-eligible.

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't he an UFA in 2 years?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Obviously you are signing him to a long-term deal when you acquire him, buying out his arbitration years and getting another 3-5 years on top of it Grady Sizemore-style. Otherwise it's pretty stupid to trade the best pitching prospect for him.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
of course they would sign him long-term. and they'd probably be able to get a better deal now, when he has two years left of arb, than they would if he hit the FA market.

people who are saying 'it's just not worth it...' ... are you serious? the guy is one of the top power hitters in the game, he's just entering his prime, and the sox are in need of a big RH bat to replace manny. if they don't get it here, where would they get it?

people talking about how much it would cost vs. the a-rod or lowell options: you do realize that cabrera is young, and will actually end up earning his paycheck over the life of this deal, unlike the other two, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The argument (at least from me) is that he might flat out refuse to sign a deal because he wants to hit the open market. Obviously, I (Tribe fan) make the deal if I can lock him up, but I don't think it's a given that he'd just instantly sign an eight year deal tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM

Miggy made $7,400,000 in his first year of arbitration last year, he will make lots more this year. I dunno if he is "cheap". Underpaid yes, but not by that much, and not for long.

As outstanding as his bat is, he is really bad at third. I don't think he is a top 5 position player in baseball, probably top 15 or so.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM

The fact that he is getting fat and is increasingly unable to play third base effectively would mean that he could very well accept an arbitration-year buyout plus an extension through his FA years. I expect a five-year deal to be the norm (2+3), but I doubt he would sign anything over that without substantial risk to the team.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 PM

usually these arb-year deals are beneficial to both the player and the team, they are pretty common. of course the sox would make sure and talk to miggy first to ensure he'd make a deal.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As outstanding as his bat is, he is really bad at third. I don't think he is a top 5 position player in baseball, probably top 15 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...php?cid=204031

He is tenth on the list of position players by VORP with people ahead of him like Jorge Posada, Chipper Jones, David Ortiz, and Magglio Ordonez. Unlike all of them, Miguel Cabrera's contract is 12m/year, he is entering his prime years as a baseball player instead of his decline phase, and he plays in a park that depresses home run rates.

He is top five when you factor in a simple age regression/progression statistic.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that he is getting fat and is increasingly unable to play third base effectively would mean that he could very well accept an arbitration-year buyout plus an extension through his FA years. I expect a five-year deal to be the norm (2+3), but I doubt he would sign anything over that without substantial risk to the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume that a 2+3 deal would be the last thing he'd ever want to do. Why would he accept what is essentially a three year deal that puts him back on the market heading into his 30th birthday? If he's worried about getting fat and moving to first base, he's going to want a 2+7 type deal.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Kyle,

Yeah, that's cool, but he's getting fat, LDO.