Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

View Poll Results: Tuchman's Fate
Turkey fryer tragedy 5 27.78%
Hired to do another show 6 33.33%
Under investigation for collusion 3 16.67%
Family/health crisis 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Cake/Betus Scam-- Class Action Suit

Several months ago, if you were playing on the cake network, you would have noticed up until very recently, almost daily tournament/SNG cancellations. The problem is not their presumed technical difficulties. The issue at hand is how they dealt with player's money after the cancellation.

Although on first glance, they have always seemed to have treated me fairly and promptly, there is a lot fishy about how they handled things. Firstly, they would promptly refund me the buy in money. However, if you think about a long tournament, or even a sit-n-go, the buy-ins of the BUSTED players prior to the "technical problems" are the REMAINING player's money-- to be distributed according to play.

When a tournament is cancelled and never resumed, the money SHOULD have been distributed according to proportion of chip stacks or at worst according to ranking given the pre-determined tournament pay structure. Instead where did this money go?

This is a question no one is asking despite the fact that cake for 4+ months had almost daily cancellations of ALL their games once or twice a day. If you tally up the number of tournaments (or make an estimation), I would venture to guess they had 50 cancellations per month during prime hours, perhaps 50 tournaments and SNG's running at once (conservative), an on average, 8 players busted prior to the cancellation (it would be more for a MTT during the final table period, and it would be much less for an SNG that just started). Also, let's assume the average buy in is $15 (range would be $1-$300 with a higher weight on the low-end but the high end skewing the average up). That would mean that with these extremely low estimations, they would have pocketed at least $300,000 per month with LITTLE damage to their reputation (remember they are responding promptly and giving prompt refunds).

Over the at least 4 months (could be longer) then where there were frequent technical problems and tourny cancellations, they have pocketed at least $1M of player's moneys and potentially much much more. Why is nobody saying anything about this? I venture to guess that any given player has lost less than $200 on this site due to server problems, and because they were refunded their buy in, very few people have thought that they have been scammed. However, this site did take money away from their customers. Say in a 400 man $30 buy-in tournament, the top 30 get paid (total pool $12,000). Say 300 people bust out when the tournament gets cancelled, and the remaining 100 get a prompt and "fair" refund. That is, $3000 is refunded, and $9,000 is pocketed by Cake. Does this sound fair to you? People forget that money in the prize pool is YOUR (the poker player's) money. Poker player's that have not bust are entitled to that money! Instead people are pacified with a refund of their buy-in.

If anyone played in Betus/Cake and suffered a tournament cancellation-- we need to get together. Especially if you have tournament history/data and/or screen shots. I have many screen shots of tournament cancellations/technical glitches. Also if there are any lawyers who who are poker players that think this case would have merit in court, I would love to hear from you. My email is r-kawai@northwestern.edu. They probably took a few hundred of potential winnings from me in the past several months. I might've busted in these tournaments, or I might've placed 1st. I don't know. I'm particularly harmed by several high buy in $120, $240 buy in sit-n-gos where I was refunded 1-2 from the money when I had a good shot as chip leader or 2nd chip leader to make $500-$1000.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Cake/Betus Scam-- Class Action Suit

This is going to go well.

btb, going to put some popcorn in.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 AM

Number one, you are going to have to get service on the defendant. That is basically letting them know you are suing them, what for, and where the case was filed.

Number two, you cannot expect to be made whole if your loss arises from an illegal activity. The Courts may or may not consider online gaming illegal.

Number three, I am not an attorney but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 AM

Yeah you're right about 2. The status of gambling in the US online is in limbo. Nonetheless Absolute ran into a lot of trouble when the media caught wind of what was going on there. Now their reputation is tarnished perhaps permanently. I guess if I get more hits on this page, I will have accomplished partly what I'm hoping to-- exposing unethical and unfair behavior on the part of online gaming outfits. These sorts of things need to stop. We're not just going to roll over while online poker sites find creative ways to increase profits unethically.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:56 AM

Cake was awful for disconnects and I am sure prob $200-300 is owed to me. I am Canadian is that allowed in this suit??
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 AM

They really just refunded the buyin to people deep in tournies? It seems like someone would have picked up on that at some point.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 AM

Why is it that posts like this the op always has 5 posts or less?

Also, I thought US players couldn't play on cake and his location is los angeles. Or maybe I am missing something.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:13 AM

I <3 cake
Old 11-29-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I thought US players couldn't play on cake and his location is los angeles. Or maybe I am missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]post less plz.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]post less plz.

[/ QUOTE ]

reason why?