Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 05:09 AM

Default 100NL - Did I mess this hand up vs decent player

Villain is a good thinking palyer running at 22/18.8/2.53.

Please evaluate the hand for me. This is my interpretation:

I have been raising button often and expect to get played back at. Should I be calling, folding or re-popping pre flop?

Then on the flop I call as I think this shows weakness and this player will most likely fire two barrels.

Check check on the turn is interesting and is the value bet on the river OK?

Thoughts appreciated.
Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

SB: $135.40
BB: $100
UTG: $30.45
Hero (BTN): $118.40

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $13</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $9

Flop: ($27) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $21</font>, Hero calls $21

Turn: ($69) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($69) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $33</font>
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: 100NL - Did I mess this hand up vs decent player

I really dislike the call pf. You have position, but you are easily dominated with a VERY marginal holding. A king or queen could be disaster for you, and since you invested so much pf, you risk losing a big pot with that marginal hand.
If you called pf, I suppose you feel that you must play top pair on the flop (and you're right), so calling seems fine here. A raise may better define your hand, though.
Checking the turn is just fine.
On the river, are you value betting? Why not check, since it's unlikely that he'll call with anything that you can beat, and he well not fold if he does have you beat. Just check the river.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 AM

I think there is a little value in a river bet here. I really can't see what he has that beats you but QQ/TT are in his range and I think he calls a small bet with QQ.

If he has a K he's not checking the turn through and he'd almost always bet the river with a J.

I hate calling preflop though.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:06 AM

I'dd rather ditch this pf, unless I know he really plays back light at me, even though you have position, this is a trouble hand in a reraised pot.
Rest is played pretty good I think, river is quite thin though, but once in a while he looks you up with QQ's or 10's or K10s
Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 AM

If he is a good thinking player as you say, he will not hope to check raise the river. So he should have bet a Jack or a flush.
Don't see much value in a river bet though as I have seen people play AK like this and QQ or TT won't call your bet.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really dislike the call pf. You have position, but you are easily dominated with a VERY marginal holding. A king or queen could be disaster for you, and since you invested so much pf, you risk losing a big pot with that marginal hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we know our opponents are re raising our btn raises light what are our calling ranges?

KQ is surely stronger than his range here, is it better to 4 bet pre?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we know our opponents are re raising our btn raises light what are our calling ranges?

KQ is surely stronger than his range here, is it better to 4 bet pre?

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that you could wind up in exactly this type of very difficult decision, where you are likely taking the worst of the action. You likely can find a better spot than K-Qos to take his action. You say yourself that he is a decent player, and you are taking him on here without the goods. There's no harm in finding a better spot than this to play to a reraise, especially if you've been taking pots down. Just look at this hand as one that didn't work and move on to the next hand.