Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 06:13 PM

Default 200NL: I hate folding AA

BTN is a straightforward regular (18/12/3 over 1000 hands). I haven't logged many hands with BB, but all indications are he's a nit (9/6 over a small sample). Comments on all streets appreciated.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $201.00
BB: $219.45
UTG: $427.85
UTG+1: $86.65
MP1: $200.70
MP2: $216.90
Hero (MP3): $200.00
CO: $141.00
BTN: $262.90

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 Players)
4 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $6.00</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $6.00, SB folds, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($19) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $12.00</font>, BB calls $12.00, Hero calls $12.00

Turn: ($55) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $37.00</font>, BTN calls $37.00, BB calls $37.00

River: ($166) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets all-in for $164.45</font>, Hero folds.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: 200NL: I hate folding AA

You played that far to weak on the flop, I think you have to bet out there...The whole hand plays completely different when you bet out, you might even take it down right there. What was your reasoning for not raising if I may ask?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You played that far to weak on the flop, I think you have to bet out there...The whole hand plays completely different when you bet out, you might even take it down right there. What was your reasoning for not raising if I may ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm way ahead of overpairs and overcards, way behind sets, and there aren't any likely draws out on the flop. Leading the flop is fine too, but it puts me in a pretty good position to value stack myself when somebody raises and I convince myself they have 99-JJ enough of the time to get it in.

With this line, I think I still get called by worse hands (TT+) enough on the turn and can pretty confidently fold to a raise.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Man IMO you gotta tax the draws. You should raise the flop and take it down. Dont be greedy.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man IMO you gotta tax the draws. You should raise the flop and take it down. Dont be greedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "the draws" you mean "76," then sure, I agree, but 33,55,88-JJ are much more likely than 76, and the draw only hits on the turn 16% of the time anyway.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Comments on all streets appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf were you thinking on the flop. Bet it please. I don't understand. I can't even begin to think about the rest of the hand because this is just so wtf.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf were you thinking on the flop. Bet it please. I don't understand. I can't even begin to think about the rest of the hand because this is just so wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that it's a low ragged flop vs. opponents whose hands are most likely
(1) broadway cards that are drawing nearly dead and will fold to a bet,

(2) pocket pairs 99-JJ that I can get two streets of value from but that probably won't get all-in here, or

(3) sets.

76s is a slight possibility, but that's the only reasonable draw out there. So, the way I see it I'm WA/WB vs. a regular and a probable nit and decide to wait until the turn to put in a bet of my own. I mean, most hands that I beat are folding to a flop bet or only calling 2 streets of bets anyway. The only hands that I expect will want to play for stacks here are sets because this is full ring.

Also, if I get raised on the flop it's much harder to get away from if I'm behind -- I always think "well, they COULD have TT+" even though I'll most likely be up against a set. On the other hand, if I get raised on the turn I can be much more certain that I'm beat while still getting value out of weaker one pair hands.

Also, since the regular is on the button, if this gets to showdown it will balance the times where I check/fold weak hands in multiway pots -- not so important against the SB, but I like to vary my lines vs. regulars.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that it's a low ragged flop vs. opponents whose hands are most likely
(1) broadway cards that are drawing nearly dead and will fold to a bet,

(2) pocket pairs 99-JJ that I can get two streets of value from but that probably won't get all-in here, or

(3) sets.

76s is a slight possibility, but that's the only reasonable draw out there. So, the way I see it I'm WA/WB vs. a regular and a probable nit and decide to wait until the turn to put in a bet of my own. I mean, most hands that I beat are folding to a flop bet or only calling 2 streets of bets anyway. The only hands that I expect will want to play for stacks here are sets because this is full ring.

Also, if I get raised on the flop it's much harder to get away from if I'm behind -- I always think "well, they COULD have TT+" even though I'll most likely be up against a set. On the other hand, if I get raised on the turn I can be much more certain that I'm beat while still getting value out of weaker one pair hands.

Also, since the regular is on the button, if this gets to showdown it will balance the times where I check/fold weak hands in multiway pots -- not so important against the SB, but I like to vary my lines vs. regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is only good if you check a ton of flops imo. I think you need to bet here 100% of the time if you have any reasonable cbet %. Personally, I cbet a ton so I would always bet this. Its not a matter of what you beat/get value from in a vacuum as much as it is becoming ridiculously easy to exploit.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is only good if you check a ton of flops imo. I think you need to bet here 100% of the time if you have any reasonable cbet %. Personally, I cbet a ton so I would always bet this. Its not a matter of what you beat/get value from in a vacuum as much as it is becoming ridiculously easy to exploit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this spot doesn't come up often enough to make me ridiculously easy to exploit, mostly because it's a multiway pot with me second to act vs. two tight players on a dry board.

I cb frequently second to act in three-way pots, but I also check pretty often -- usually with hands that I've given up on, which is why I think it's nice to vary my play once in awhile and c/c this flop with a much stronger hand than either would expect.

I don't know -- this is the first time I've taken this line with AA possibly ever (first time in the last 50k hands at least), and I'm still trying to evaluate how good it was.

Any comments on the turn / river play?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:16 AM

yea...as played I think I might just c/c down. In all seriousness though I don't think I can ever remember a spot where I c/c and overpair as the preflop raiser so I have no idea what other people do in these spots. Usually I just autofire 3 barrels if an unknown pfr raiser c/c me on the flop.