Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Default 50NL - KK vs UTG raiser

UTG is a regular - plays fairly tight preflop. I don't have stats. Normally I reraise with KK pre - but I felt that everyone behind me would fold (they were playing pretty tight and would prob respect the UTG raise) and I wanted to try something different. Comments?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($34.50)
Button ($35.20)
SB ($38.90)
BB ($95.40)
UTG ($63.60)
UTG+1 ($10)
MP1 ($53)
Hero ($68.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $23</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $72.2 (All-In)</font>,
Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: 50NL - KK vs UTG raiser

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is a regular - plays fairly tight preflop.

[/ QUOTE ] Does he raise small pps UTG? Will he stack off w/QQ on such a dry board(aka is he terrible)? I think this is a pretty bad flop to raise if you're not going to stack off tbh. If you don't have KK what else besides a set are you raising here? Unless you're trying to bluff a tight UTG raiser which I don't think many people do.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Hohoho! I am crazy?! Is this same hand as RE posts? Okey.

Raise preflop. And I can't give neutral advice anymore because I think I know what UTG has.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I can't give neutral advice anymore because I think I know what UTG has.

[/ QUOTE ]This is kind of why we post. Put villain on a range and then give advice on how to play against it. I think calling preflop is fine if he's fairly sure the pot will be HU postflop.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:16 PM

Thank god I'm not terrible. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 PM

I honestly thought I clicked on the wrong thread...then I saw he had KK instead of rapid's AA.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:52 PM

I'm not a fan of this if you think villain is folding an overpair here. A tight villain is probably raising JJ+/AK here (maybe TT) and you're ahead of a huge part of that range. If I was going to call preflop to get max value out postflop, I'd probably c/c flop (to snipe a cbet from AK) turn (to eke out another VB from JJ/QQ/TT) and lead river. I think this line gets the most out of villain's likely range and keeps things somewhat at bay against AA.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM

When he raised UTG preflop I gave him a range of JJ+/AK (pretty tight I think). I also think that he might fold AK/JJ to a reraise pre cos we have played together a bit and I think he knows I'm not going to reraise to often with something weaker than those. So I call pre cos I think I'll be HU in position. When he reraised my flop raise I put him on AA - maybe QQ but I think it unlikely, so my jam was a pure bluff to represent a set. I actually thought about this line preflop cos I thought the stacks are just about deep enough to get him off an overpair on flop like this. Anyway, he folded - but maybe I was just lucky
Old 11-23-2007, 07:19 PM

Given the stack sizes, I think that JJ/QQ could find a call to setmine if you 3bet preflop (it also gets more money in), but they're both probably folding to a flop raise. After you raise flop and get re-raised, I'd pretty much put him on AA-QQ (I think they all play the same in this spot since they're not putting you a premium pair). From there, it's weighing whether AA or QQ is more likely and acting accordingly. If you put villain on AA, pushing is definitely better here, especially if you know they'll fold here given the board and your line.

Being the villain in this hand, I'll certainly admit that I didn't put you on KK and you had a solid enough read to pin my hand down and know that I'd most likely lay it down. It's interesting to read this same hand from a different perspective and I feel I've gotten a good amount from it. Hopefully you're getting a lot from mine? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 08:27 PM

Hey - at least you know I wasn't lying in the chat afterwards [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Truth is - if you weren't a solid player I probably can't make this play against you. I do think that this hand is an interesting hand from both players point of view. Also, next time, I won't be trying to get you off those aces, I promise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]