Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Dexter 10/28

loved this episode.

i don't understand why people say stuff like, oh Dexter would never make this mistake, he is too meticulous, oh Dexter would sit blankly in the electric chair because he is empty. Clearly Dexter is moving towards being more human, having more feelings, understanding himself better, etc. In fact he is realizing that his 'need' and his emptiness is not 'him', it is what his childhood experience made him become. there is a good explanation and cause for what he is and its conceivable that it could be reversed. He is making more mistakes because his world is falling apart, everything is changing, he is becoming less of a monster and more of a human.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:37 AM

My roomate and I were debating this last night...
Did Dexter know about the camera and was he out of view from it on his boat or did the camera "catch" him?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
loved this episode.

i don't understand why people say stuff like, oh Dexter would never make this mistake, he is too meticulous, oh Dexter would sit blankly in the electric chair because he is empty. Clearly Dexter is moving towards being more human, having more feelings, understanding himself better, etc. In fact he is realizing that his 'need' and his emptiness is not 'him', it is what his childhood experience made him become. there is a good explanation and cause for what he is and its conceivable that it could be reversed. He is making more mistakes because his world is falling apart, everything is changing, he is becoming less of a monster and more of a human.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya that is clearly one of the key underlying themes of the season thus far. This started last season when he had a decision to make between joining Rudy/Brian or saving Deb and he chose to save Deb and it continued this season as he is letting his guard down.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
loved this episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I feel the same way about this, it obviously bothers me that he is becoming sloppy but like you said he is starting to become more human and now he's making mistakes.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, that's the extent of the discussion we get? I thought this was a really, really good episode. The dynamic between Dexter and the sponsor is fascinating and it builds a ton of tension the way they keep closing on Dexter. Even though it makes sense in terms of building to another season, etc., I really can't imagine him getting away with everything. Excellent show anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was naked right?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The sponsor character is interesting, but this episode was disappointing to me. I don't like Dexter falling apart and making so many clearly reckless decisions, it is way out of character for him. The "dark defender" thing is pretty stupid as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I posted immediately after watching the episode, but after I had 5 or 10 minutes to think about it, I thought it made no sense at all that Dexter would be out on the boat with the blue light. In the first place, he was way too careful to not know if there were blood splatters on his boat. He would have had the boat as clean as it could possibly be right when he dumped the bodies.

And secondly, if he was going to clean the boat, he'd at least take it out on the water. He wouldn't be doing it right in the harbor when he knew that the cops already had an idea which harbor the bodies had been dumped from. The whole timeline there just didn't make sense at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sponsor is [censored] up Dexter's game. He's being too human now and being lazy. I wanted to think that the late-night boat cleaning was not believable, but I think that he's healing -- becoming the human he really is -- and losing the capacity to stay focused on staying under the radar.

He never really looked for external justification before. He accepted that he was [censored] up in the head as axiomatic; Harry's Law gave him an outlet and excuse for his psychopathy rather than a moral justification.

This episode however seemed to mark a turning point. It hammered away at Dexter's new need for external justification, righteous moral approval even, from his satisfaction at overhearing the guys in the booth at the very beginning of the episode, to the Dark Defender stuff, and finally to reassuring his sponsor that she did the right thing in offing the dealer boyfriend.

This was never on Dexter's mind and now it's all there is.

I like the idea of Doakes becoming an inside man. I think it's possible but I question it after his dance with his Special Ops bro. Sure, Dexter isn't killing innocent wives, but Doakes seems driven to enforce the law in the name of the law as a beacon for the greater good, not driven to support simple vengeance, righteous though it might be to the individual hurt by the assailant's crime.

In any case this season is keeping me on my toes as much if not more so than last season. What a great [censored] show!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 AM

This was the pivotal show of the season,IMO. All the subplots took a direction during this hour; Dexter's relationship with Lila picked up a lot of momentum; Dexter may well be seen on the tapes on his boat, moving the case more in his direction; Rita's mother is moving in with her, making this relationship near impossible.

From here on, look for the freight train to really start rolling . . . it's going to be a wild ride from here to the end, much like the first season after the identity of the ITK was clearly revealed.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 AM

did you guys know that his sponsor is Bill Murray's daughter? im not sure how much, if at all, or in what way, this changes how i feel about her nipples
Old 10-30-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did you guys know that his sponsor is Bill Murray's daughter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Different Bill Murray.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4) dexter would never smile in the electric chair, he is empty, he would simply just sit there and take it.

[/ QUOTE ]
He would smile because the "dark passenger" would somehow be gone and he would've regained parts of his humane feelings.

It's kinda cheesy thought, I know, but I bet the people who produce this show could pull it off.