Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt childern?

Is homosexuality a learned behavior?

Even if it isn't, should children be subjected to the ridicule that could come with having two parents of the same sex?

Are there other long term development issues that could affect children negatively?

Is is solely a problem of perception and society that some people believe that homosexual couples should not be allowed to adopt?

How does this effect the traditional roles of the mother and father?

We had a long discussion in class today about this exact issue, many did not see a problem and thought that many homosexual couples were more fit than some potential heterosexual parents, however both italians in my class ( I am in a spanish language class with students from all over Europe) felt that it was not natual to have two parents of the same sex and therefore it should not be allowed to happen. I am wondering what peoples thoughts and opinions are on the issue!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt childern?

I'm always curious to figure how people figure out what "natural" things are important.

Its not "natural" to spend 8 hours a day in an office building 20 stories high doing paperwork.

Its not natural to abstain from sexuality until one is married and then remain monogamous.

Its not natural to feel shame in our naked bodies.

I think people selectively use "natural" and put undue importance on things they deem as being natural or not. Also, many people call things unnatural which, in fact, are completely natural. (Homosexuality, for instance. It is consistantly found throughout 'nature.' It is completely 'natural.')

[ QUOTE ]
Even if it isn't, should children be subjected to the ridicule that could come with having two parents of the same sex?

[/ QUOTE ]
Should ugly people be allowed to adopt? What if a woman has a real 'horse face.' Should she be refused adoption because kids are cruel. Kids who learn how ugly the adoptees mother is will ridicule them.

(btw- I believe they've looked at this in studies already and found no discernable differences.)
Old 01-31-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
By this logic, ugly people or people with big noses shouldn't be allowed children because other kids will make fun of their parents. Kids will make fun of anything and everything. That's what kids do.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there other long term development issues that could affect children negatively?

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me see, two parents who are accepting of others and are sensitive. That could be a huge problem. Kids that are abused by opposite gender parents are much better off than kids with loving and generous same gender parents.

[ QUOTE ]
Is is solely a problem of perception and society that some people believe that homosexual couples should not be allowed to adopt?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not like me. You're different. I hate/fear you. You've done nothing to harm me or anyone else. It's your existance/lifestyle that I find offensive. Do I have a legitimate reason to hate you or is it just my perception?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hedging kids into traditional roles is the way it should be. Female auto mechanics should be illegal.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:51 PM

I think preference should be given to married hetereosexual couples.

Stu
Old 01-31-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I learned it from a straight, white, married male with kids, church camp counselor. Go figure huh? The drag queens from San Francisco simply were not around to teach me these things at the time.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Children should never be subjected to ridicule for any reason. Childhood ridicule simply never happens to those with heterosexual parents.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh! Parental alcoholism/drug addiction? Religious brainwashing? Lack of consideration of the child? Etc....

For whatever reason, some heterosexuals seem to think that the mere fact of their heterosexuality and the "natural equipment" qualifies them to be "better" parents. My contention is that engaged and loving parents, no matter the gender, will raise kids to become productive and decent members of their society.

b---
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM

"should children be subjected to the ridicule that could come with having two parents of the same sex?"

Should children be subjected to the ridicule that could come with having two parents of diffrent races? or two parents with a great age disparity?

I once suggested on this forum that, since men are generally a-holes, two women would appear to be the ideal parent group. While I really think two parents of the opposite sex is the ideal parent group, we seem to be doing a lousy job of giving children families at all. A loving couple of the same sex would seem to me better than a lot of situations children find themselves in now.

I'd be curious to see how marriages of same sex couples hold up over time, in terms of how long they stay together and divorce rates vs. heterosexual marriages.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...the ideal parent group...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is an "ideal parent group?" How do you define an "ideal parent group?

What do kids look like with an ideal parent group? Is the ideal parent group always heterosexual? Or, is it how the kids turn out? If the kid is gay and happy; but the parent is not; Is it successful? What if the kid is happy, but hates the parent?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
married hetereosexual couples.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what you're saying is that by the biological virtue of being able to breed; that somehow, married, heterosexual couples are somehow more qualified to be parents?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Doubtful considering every gay person ever has always said it wasn't.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This ridicule only would occur because our society is biggoted against homosexuals. You have to stop the process somewhere, and if you keep it illegal for homosexuals to adopt that stigma will always be there. Of course, I'd imagine most arguing against adoption would be in support of that stigma.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
None. Why would it?
[ QUOTE ]
however both italians in my class ( I am in a spanish language class with students from all over Europe) felt that it was not natual to have two parents of the same sex

[/ QUOTE ]
What do they mean by natural?
[ QUOTE ]
I am wondering what peoples thoughts and opinions are on the issue!

[/ QUOTE ]
Enter Stu Pidasso, who some how comes out of the woodwork every time a thread about whiteness, straightness, or maleness comes up.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Should children be subjected to the ridicule that could come with having two parents of different races?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No more than with any other parents.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Roles set up to keep women in their place? Hmm...