Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 01:18 PM

Default KQ Top pair hand early in $55 MTT

I feel as though I screwed this up fairly badly, but I'm not sure where. Comments appreciated.

Very early (level 2; blinds 10/20) in a party $55 NL MTT. The table is very loose and passive with 5-way unraised pots fairly common. The cutoff this hand is a big stack with T2,900. I am above average with T1,200 and everyone else has more or less their original T1,000 starting stack.

I am in UTG+2 with KQo. There's a limper to me and I limp (looking to see a cheap flop and hit it). There are several additional limpers and we see the flop, unraised, 5-6 way.

The flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The BB leads out for T20 and the EP limper folds. I make a pot-sized raise (~120). The cutoff cold-calls and the BB folds.

The turn is the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], which I generally don't like. A number of possible holdings (esp. KJ), now crush me, and the possible range of hands I beat just shrunk. I did, however, just pick up a straight draw, and I still have top pair/excellent kicker. I check, villain bets exactly 1/2 pot and I call.

The river is a blank. I check, he pushes, I fold.

Bet the turn? Fold the turn? Blocking bet the river? WWYD?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:35 PM

Default Re: KQ Top pair hand early in $55 MTT

I probably check/fold the turn. I cant think of any hand that would cold call the flop but not call a bet on the turn. Your prob behind at the moment and not getting the odds to draw at your straight. Even if you get lucky and catch an ace on the river, you probably wont get much action anyway.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: KQ Top pair hand early in $55 MTT

Like you're PF call. Like your flop raise, although I might make it 80 (but thats not much a of a diff), since I would like to play a smaller pot wih KQ. Its hard to tell wheat the cold call is since you have no read. A standard tag player would cold call there with a set or maybe 2 pair. I check the turn since i picked up outs and might still haev the best hand. If i bet and he does haev a set or something strong, he will prob raise me and i might not see a river. His bet was small enough where u got to see a river. His push is 2 ends of th espectrum for me. He either has a big hand, aq for a turned straight, a set or top 2 OR he's got air. YTou have to lean towards a big hand here. He prob has u pegged for atleast top pair so mayeb he thinks yopu'll call his push. I would lay this down after a little thought. I think you could try a blocking bet since if he doesnt hold AQ or q9 he would have to just call with a set. TOUGH SPOT.