Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Destined to go broke?

I think my demise was inevitable this hand but would appreciate a reality check.

1 hr into party $77 NL Tourney. I have slightly above average stack of T4,900. Villain in co is table chip leader with T7,900. I've been at this table for 20 hands or so. When I arrived, villain was close to tourney chip lead with T11,000, but he's made two very loose calls to lose some chips (he was calling loosely...not pushing)

Blinds are 50/100. I have AT in BB. EP limps, cutoff limps, SB folds. I raise to 400, happy to take pot down here. Both EP and CO call. Flop comes AA2.

I lead out for 900. EP folds, co/villain pushes. I call. He shows 22. No help and buy-bye. At the time, villain's raise surprised me. I figured he'd call down with a worse ace and there was little chance he had a better ace (no preflop raise). I worried about 22, but thought mid-pairs and worse aces were also in the mix.

Anyone make that fold here?
Old 03-04-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Destined to go broke?

no never fold that but why are you building a pot out of position with AT in the blinds. just check.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:21 PM

Wasn't trying to build a pot...hoped I would take it down. Figured I was up against the usual variety of KJ , 44, AXs hands that love to limp. Probably should have raised a bit more or checked PF, though.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:58 PM

No a raise of 4xBB should knock out players who aren't serious. If EP hadn't called, the CO was likely making mistake going heads up with 22 (I know he is a slight favorite but that is a hard hand to manuver after flop). After the flop came, you were screwed, only hands that made sense were Ax suited or 22 and only 22 had you beat, sorry.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:04 PM

Your raise was way too small. Make it 600-700.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:14 PM

Your raise isn't going to ever "take the pot down there" unless you do something ridiculous like push.

The correct answer is to check.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 PM

Raising with AT from bb against a player you described as
loose is not a good idea. He will probably call with a lot of hands and you will have positional disadvantage. The blinds are too small at this point to risk your chips. As it turns out you'd probably go broke if you checked.

Bruce
Old 03-04-2006, 10:50 PM

Look at it this way - your preflop raise (that was too small) signaled wither PP, Ax, or a misguided attempt to win the pot right there. Your 3/4 pot bet on the flop further defined your hand as either Ax or a bluff. CO pushed because Ax doesn't fold no matter what, and a bluff does not put any more chips in the pot no matter what.

I will cheerfully check in this spot with pretty much any hand, and then I probably proceed to go broke on that flop...