Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Default You check river, he way overbet pushes

So this is sort of more of a theory post, but it's a play that I can't quite figure out, mostly because I end up folding most of the time. However I'd like to get some thoughts about what villian is doing when the hand plays out like this:

Say you have AK

You open raise in LP, button calls, everyone folds.

Flop comes 395r, you C-bet, villian calls.

Turn comes 5, you decide to bet again b/c you think villian will fold. Also you know that if you check, villian is betting any two.

River comes J, or any blank, it doesn't matter. You check, villian pushes for like 3x the pot.

What does villian have here? What does villian have if positions are reversed and he open pushes river?

My belief is that it's very often a strong slowplayed hand, as bond talked about in his thread about bet sizing. However the check/call line is just wierd for that. I guess villian is thinking he wants it to look like a bluff.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: You check river, he way overbet pushes

villain wants it to look like a bluff definitely. the check call line really isnt that weird. people want to keep you in the hand to see if you can get a piece that you will stack off with (read: top pair that someone who fires two streets with air that turns into top pair they will usually become tied to the hand).