Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-15-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Massive self destructive tendencies. Need advice

dude i dont have much advice but i just wanted to say i totally understand how you feel about all the yelling and destroying. not that i destroy things but whenever i played online, i did do a lot of yelling when some crazy bad beats occurred. thing is, for people like you and me, i dont think online poker is the answer. there is so much going on in online poker that those bad beats and bad streaks are inevitable. i suggest you stick to live poker. i banned myself from online poker because of all those emotions i felt sitting behind a computer. in a live game, i never show that i'm upset because that's not the kind of person i am in real person. but when you're alone behind a computer, you let yourself loose because you can and no one will see it. so my advice to you, try playing live because i feel your pain and the online bad beats will keep happening. plus there are less bad beats in a live game i think. not many fish to the river if you make the right plays. trust me. they all have this sense of pride not to be considered a fish but behind a computer no one really cares.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because that's not the kind of person i am

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither, and since I've started playing real money I've thrown things several times. People I know would be SHOCKED. I'm kind of the quiet type. I haven't destroyed anything though. I can't afford to be tearing up my stuff.

OP I empathize.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:45 AM

I think the advice to start some kind of exercise routine or get a punching bag is solid. I used to have major anger problems when I was a teenager, punching holes in walls, breaking things, etc. I started doing Tae Kwon Do and it really helped me relieve the tension and learn self control.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:50 PM

Standard, one time I accidently stabbed my cat 48 times when some donk hit a 16 outer on me with two cards to come. If you've never completely obliterated your house playing internet poker you're probably a sociopath and should see a psychologist, NOT ME BITCH, im how you should be.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 PM

Greek,

You're obviously struggling with many things in life. This is a very bad time for you to play poker. You should seek professional help, maybe get on some sort of medication and start dealing with all your problems. Sort it out before even thinking playing poker semi-seriously, concentrating on poker right now is probably very bad for your mental health.

If you feel like you really have to play and/or want to hone your skills, drop down several levels so you're 110% in your comfort zone, and read books & study your play a lot to keep yourself occupied.

Conclusion: poker = bad
Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 AM

Psych: I'd encourage you to seek couselling. I know it's hard to admit you need help even to yourself sometimes, but please consider.

On the practical side: Why don't you get insurance? I have a job where I have to carry my laptop to places that if it's dropped it has zero chance of survival, plus I have children. So when I bought my laptop I got a complete replacement policy for about 200bucks. Regardless of cause, even if my kids pour soda in it and then I drop it from a helicopter, it's replaced for free [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Psych: I'd encourage you to seek couselling. I know it's hard to admit you need help even to yourself sometimes, but please consider.

On the practical side: Why don't you get insurance? I have a job where I have to carry my laptop to places that if it's dropped it has zero chance of survival, plus I have children. So when I bought my laptop I got a complete replacement policy for about 200bucks. Regardless of cause, even if my kids pour soda in it and then I drop it from a helicopter, it's replaced for free [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two absolutlyfuckingbrilliant ideas there!

I live with my oldies, so have learnt 2 be very quiet, as then i can play all night, etc.

My best advice is not too get too happy when you win!

Why? well, poker is the ups and downs, and we all get on the happy and sad side of variance. Im on the neg side at the moment, capped off by getting it all in (and of course losing) with bottom set vs top pair to bubble out of a sat seat.

If you allow yourself to get up, happy and high when the cards fall your way, your thinking changes, and thus, your game as well. So, we prolly arnt playing our A game, but a B-, which is not good.

Then, when we go down, we tend to link the results with our level of happiness, and feelings of inadequacy, then horrid tilt can rear its head.

But, i find, if i just try and stay level headed when I am up, really up, or sideways, i can really play my A or B+ game when i am tilted, instead of my D-game.

Its kinda like the 'dont be results orientated' bullshiiit you continually see throughout the forums. You just have to be good enough, and have the bankroll for the stakes you are playing.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:58 PM

OP, you are just plain nuts. a whacko.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

None of what you've described anger wise matters much if you are a winning player. (and can afford to replace destroyed laptops and the like). If you are a losing player you should either quit playing or seek professional help.

Anger at inanimate objects is good unless of course you bust your knuckles or forehead or something. Those things could really hurt.

pokervintage
Old 11-30-2007, 08:00 PM

1) I'm glad that there is online poker. I'd hate to play with you in a card room.

2) You have some anger management issues for which you should seek professional counseling. Even if this behavior is confined to poker and bad beats now, I'm sure that over time you will break something or hurt someone in some other context that will leave you or someone else injured or dead.

3) If there were no bad beats in poker (variance), then it would be chess. And fewer people would play. And you'd make less money in the long run.