Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 PM

Default physcology of poker by Schoonmaker

can some one please give a review or rating of this book. i was in the book store today and i was skimming thru it and it seemed very interesting.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:13 AM

Default Re: physcology of poker by Schoonmaker

The book is set for limit hold'em. It's main purpose is to identify your reasons and the reasons of your opponents for playing poker. It gets overlooked by many on this forum because it's not a strategy book. However, I would recommend that every poker player who has not already read it does so.

If you're into psychology at all you'd be familiar of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. You'd also know that self-actualization is the pinnacle of that hierarchy. POP is the book to help you get closer to self-actualization in a poker sense.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're into psychology at all you'd be familiar of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. You'd also know that self-actualization is the pinnacle of that hierarchy. POP is the book to help you get closer to self-actualization in a poker sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I become convinced that all posters here are nothing but poker obsessed degenerates a post comes-a-long that restores my faith in humanity.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 AM

Very read worthy regardless what you are playing.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

What Deacsoft said. Dr Al's new book ,Your Worst Poker Enemy, is good.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What Deacsoft said. Dr Al's new book ,Your Worst Poker Enemy, is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the new one, but willing to lay money on, that it is a better choice than POP. (If you are not getting both) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2007, 02:02 PM

I like Feeney's book better. I'm not saying a poker book should be the most entertaining thing in the world, but I did have some trouble finding much interesting in POP. Maybe that's because I read Feeney's book first. Basically they're both regular limit holdem books looked at with a psochology angle, and Feeney's just seems to work a lot better.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 PM

im purely a no limit holdem player. how much can POP help my mindset for nlh? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Feeney's book better. I'm not saying a poker book should be the most entertaining thing in the world, but I did have some trouble finding much interesting in POP. Maybe that's because I read Feeney's book first. Basically they're both regular limit holdem books looked at with a psochology angle, and Feeney's just seems to work a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I more in agreement with the above comment. I know several disagree, but POP just didn't do much for my game. I keep telling myself that I'm going to re-read it now that I have oodles more playing experience, but I've got too many other darn books to get through first!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:41 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think "Inside the Poker Mind" is a must own. I reread it on a regular basis. I am looking forward to Dr Al's next book, "Your Best Poker Friend".