Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Is Lidge Back!?

[ QUOTE ]
They shake Lidge who is simple a shell of his former self and pick up a top of the lineup center fielder a prospect at 3rd and a rag arm to even out the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't personally know enough about the non-Lidge personnel to gauge this trade myself (though it seems from some quick reading that Houston may be better in the long run), but stop crapping on Brad Lidge. When "a shell of your former self" is still bona fide relief ace, you're still giving up a valuable player.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They shake Lidge who is simple a shell of his former self and pick up a top of the lineup center fielder a prospect at 3rd and a rag arm to even out the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't personally know enough about the non-Lidge personnel to gauge this trade myself (though it seems from some quick reading that Houston may be better in the long run), but stop crapping on Brad Lidge. When "a shell of your former self" is still bona fide relief ace, you're still giving up a valuable player.

[/ QUOTE ]

19 saves and 8 blown saves plus numerous games in which he let the other team back in, I'd hardly call that an ace.

Throughout the year if the Astros had a three run lead going into the ninth the final would be a win by 1 after Lidge gave up two runs but still collected the save.

He's a world of talent with mental problems about how to pitch. I hope the new scenery does well for him.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:30 PM

LOL @ using saves/blown saves numbers to prove your point.

Lidge 2007

3.36 ERA
131 ERA+
88 SO/30 BB (3:1 ratio)
11.x K/9

Real awful numbers there.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 PM

I am kind of disapointed we didn't try and deal for a better pitcher out there (santana, kazmir or sign mo rivera) but this is pretty good, and just about as big as you can expect from the phils. However, it puts more pressure on use to sign rowand I think
Old 11-08-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope the new scenery does well for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, can you IMAGINE Philly when he blows a save? He's going down in flames there. He got booed in Houston and that is pretty unheard of in these parts. He's gonna get hit in the head with a battery.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
19 saves and 8 blown saves plus numerous games in which he let the other team back in, I'd hardly call that an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

By my count, he had 66 appearences and 52 times he allowed 0 runs. In the 14 games where he surrendered runs, Houston won 6 anyway. How many games could he possibly have "let the other team back into"?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ using saves/blown saves numbers to prove your point.

Lidge 2007

3.36 ERA
131 ERA+
88 SO/30 BB (3:1 ratio)
11.x K/9

Real awful numbers there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea but he blew a bunch of saves. plus every time he came in with a 3 run lead it was always down to 1 run.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 PM

Question that I could probably get answered by wiki or something: what is the criteria for not getting credit for a save in a non-blown save situation? I thought if you come in with a three run lead and are charged two runs that you aren't save eligible (functioning as a minor penalty, I suppose, like how a batter doesn't get an RBI for a GIDP). Yet multiple times in this thread - which might possibly be the greatest thread in this forum's history by the way - people are citing scenarios where that happened and he apparently got the save. Hmmmmm.

Also, Hoya and hoyasnaxa posting in the same thread is confusing to me. Those two accounts should be merged and they can share a password or something.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Per wiki:

A blown save (abbreviated BS or B) is charged to a pitcher who enters a game in a situation which permits him to earn a save (a 'save situation'), but who instead allows the tying run to score.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Mikey,

I know what constitutes a blown save, but as mentioned I thought there were 'save situations' in which the pitcher wasn't awarded a save even though the team ended up winning anyway. Generally when he screws up and nearly blows things, but I couldn't remember those parameters.