Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Things that annoy you about your fellow golfers

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"It opens up over there" or "It might be okay"

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, I've heard that this bugs some people but nobody in my golfing circle is among them. I say stuff like that ALL THE TIME when playing, including to my competitors' shots. I just want to create a positive vibe, I honestly don't understand what the problem is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha. Thanks for the laugh. You remind me of an old buddy of mine I haven't seen for years. We used to have so much fun playing golf. One of our catch phrases was "that'll play," usually stated after a total dub off the tee on a 395-yard par-4. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My buddy Brewer putting his mouth on my ball. If this guy tells my ball to "Get up" it's inevitably gonna fly the green.

You can kiss it good by if he ever says "Be the one"

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, your other one is gold too
Old 05-25-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shoe Lace, you have got to be kidding here right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's much less ridiculous than it sounds. When I'm walking up to my ball, I may do a small circle around it (not stopping) just to check it out unless the spot I landed in clearly looks flat.

My scores have massive variance. 95 to 120 in the 4 times I've been out. It depends on how bad my putts are. Generally I'm at the green (or really close to it) to have a chance of a par (2 putt or short chip + putt). The course I play at has no water, rough is a bit thick but overall the course is not very difficult. Then there's usually a hole or 2 where everything went wrong and I'm getting the max score and lastly an occasional hole where I might lose a stroke or 2 getting to the green due to bad swings.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen people shoot 125 in under 3.5 hours.

There are no good excuses for playing a round of golf over that amount of time, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously. walking. carrying his own bag. there's just no excuse for how slow golf at so many courses has gotten.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly, I'm reading 4.5 hours and thinking wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the 6+ hr rounds at virtually every course around my area on the weekends, I'd take 4.5 anyyyyy day.

My usual foursome can whip around in ~2.5 hrs no problem if we're not held up.

I've always thought somebody should make a course where there is a rule that if you don't finish in less than 4.5 hours, you can't come back for 1 year.
It would probably have to be private, I dunno. I would golf wayyyyyy more if I knew I wouldn't be standing on every tee box for 20 minutes watching 2 groups tee off.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's much less ridiculous than it sounds. When I'm walking up to my ball, I may do a small circle around it (not stopping) just to check it out unless the spot I landed in clearly looks flat.

My scores have massive variance. 95 to 120 in the 4 times I've been out. It depends on how bad my putts are. Generally I'm at the green (or really close to it) to have a chance of a par (2 putt or short chip + putt). The course I play at has no water, rough is a bit thick but overall the course is not very difficult. Then there's usually a hole or 2 where everything went wrong and I'm getting the max score and lastly an occasional hole where I might lose a stroke or 2 getting to the green due to bad swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are a 20-30 HDCP, consider spending less time thinking in general, especially about your lie or trouble between your ball and the hole.

At this stage of learning, you should only be thinking about shot/swing replication. The other factors and thoughts about them are counter-productive as this point.

My only thoughts when I was a 20-30 where, am I pointing in the right direction (foot alignment) and am I reproducing my 'normal swing'.

Rinse n' repeat from where ever it lands.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an idea. Instead of vehemently defending yourself as a beginning golfer, maybe you should take the advice of people on this board who have been golfing for years. Maybe, just maybe, you're wrong about your views on how long you should take to hit your shot.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:00 PM

The advice has been:

1. Pick a club.
2. Just swing it and hope it goes somewhere decent.

Why would I pay $60 per round to do this? I could spend a few bucks at the range for a few hundred balls and do it there instead.

When I goto the course, I am going there to play for "real course experience", not just to mess around and pick a club semi-randomly to swing.

I'm not looking to shoot an amazing score but I am trying to figure out what effects what. This can only be done by breaking each thing into steps. I don't see how experience (or lack of experience) would change that.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 PM

> Those sandal golf shoes have to be banned.

Have you ever played golf in the tropics? Sandals rock in hot, humid places.

A pro suggested playing barefoot now and then. I do it once or twice per year. Makes me feel young and relaxed rather than old and angry.

I am most annoyed by hyper-active, talkative, whiny brats. No matter what age. Think of Spaulding Smails and you know who I mean.

Relax and enjoy the round. Keep up. Buy a round of beer. I'd much rather play with Al Czervik than Judge Smails.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen people shoot 125 in under 3.5 hours.

There are no good excuses for playing a round of golf over that amount of time, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously. walking. carrying his own bag. there's just no excuse for how slow golf at so many courses has gotten.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly, I'm reading 4.5 hours and thinking wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the 6+ hr rounds at virtually every course around my area on the weekends, I'd take 4.5 anyyyyy day.

My usual foursome can whip around in ~2.5 hrs no problem if we're not held up.

I've always thought somebody should make a course where there is a rule that if you don't finish in less than 4.5 hours, you can't come back for 1 year.
It would probably have to be private, I dunno. I would golf wayyyyyy more if I knew I wouldn't be standing on every tee box for 20 minutes watching 2 groups tee off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of this has to do with the courses stacking groups 7 minutes apart. I'm confident that 90% of foursomes could play a round in less than 4.5 hours and 75% in less than 4 hours if tee times were 12 minutes apart.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:03 AM

I just played on a reputably nice local course last week. While the course was indeed in great condition, the people running the place must have been retarded. I pay for the round and am told, "Take this ticket to the starter at XXXX time. That is when you will be starting." I was thinking, "Nice, they even have a starter here."

So we get down to the first tee area about 20 minutes before time and to my surprise there is a group of around 15 4-somes, about a third of which have already started play. We talk to the starter, and he makes us wait until all of the groups tee off (by the way, we were a twosome). But the starter (some grumpy old-timer) does not adequately space the groups out. He has the next group teeing off at the exact moment the previous group clears the landing area for a drive.

It was the longest, most miserable round I've played to date. To exacerbate matters, the group in front of us would not allow us to play through and were excruciatingly slow. I've considered a personal policy of no more weekend golf.

Even though they are not fellow competitors, add clubhouse pros/chumps and bad starters to the list of golf annoyances.