Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 AM

Default How much to raise ?

Stars 5$ MTT, Blinds 600/1200, 53 People left, my stack is a little below avg.

CO (65.000)
Button/Hero (21.500)
SB (19.000)
BB (42.000)

Folds, CO raises to 2400, Hero with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ..... ?

Whats better here ? Just push it, or reraise to about 6500 ? Why ?

Cutoff has been very active with steals in the last 15 min, so I should be far ahead of his range.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: How much to raise ?

[ QUOTE ]
Stars 5$ MTT, Blinds 600/1200, 53 People left, my stack is a little below avg.

CO (65.000)
Button/Hero (21.500)
SB (19.000)
BB (42.000)

Folds, CO raises to 2400, Hero with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ..... ?

Whats better here ? Just push it, or reraise to about 6500 ? Why ?

Cutoff has been very active with steals in the last 15 min, so I should be far ahead of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd prob make it 10K. If he shoves easy call obv. If he leads into you on a flop that u miss, you'll be getting the right odds to call. If he checks to you, shove any flop.
This is better than shoving b/c u might want action next time when u have a big PP in this situation, so u don't want to 3-bet AK any differently than JJ-AA. Shoving is fine too, as long as u shove QQ-AA sometimes as well.

I think 6500 (which leaves u with slighly more than a PSB) is bad b/c it invites a call and makes it easy for him to play correctly on the flop. If he bets into a non-ace/king flop, u have to fold (unless you pick up at least a gut-shot.)
Old 09-17-2007, 03:02 AM

I shove. CO's opening range is huge; I'd say there's at least a 75% chance he's just trying to take down the blinds and antes. You have a strong hand and although you have position, I hate the prospect of reraising, getting a call, seeing a rag flop, then having the villain shove. I will have half my stack in the middle with the repop and be put in an extremely difficult position. Avoid putting yourself in that position. Hope he calls with a hand like AQ.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:38 AM

I would shove here, as the pot is already 20% of your stack and if you reraise i assume you will call a shove from villain.

With AK im mostly inclined to shove, cause beside the value we get from FE we need to see all 5 cards. If you repop to 6k and get a call what will you do against an aggressive opponent, who is likely to c-bet. you will see an Ace or a King only in 1/3 of all flops.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 AM

I'm not sure that we get the most value from pushing here. I think raising it up to about 8k and seeing a flop is not bad, but a lot depends on the tournament itself. If we are close to the bubble then shoving is better.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:58 AM

sometimes I shove..but I like erc's line too...if CO actually just flat calls us when we're raising 1/2 our stack and donks into us on the flop it's not like we're folding so we'll still see all 5 cards.

OP, when co has been stealing has he always just minraising? Anyone restolen from him and got him to fold? Seen him call any shoves with a weak ace?

I know it's just a $5 mtt and average villain isn't going to be overly observant...but I might shove the AK and if no one calls, I might show my cards...so next time LP player does a retarded minraise maybe I get more FE when I shove over a steal with QJ...then again villain in this hand is a minraiser so I don't give him much credit for attentiveness/ability.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd prob make it 10K. If he shoves easy call obv. If he leads into you on a flop that u miss, you'll be getting the right odds to call. If he checks to you, shove any flop.
This is better than shoving b/c u might want action next time when u have a big PP in this situation, so u don't want to 3-bet AK any differently than JJ-AA. Shoving is fine too, as long as u shove QQ-AA sometimes as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is much better than raising to 6-7k. We face the same problem if he pushes the flop. we'll only be getting approx 3:1 and with whats useually 6 outs or less, have we really got the odds to call?

I also think this line lets him get away from hands like AQ if no high cards hit, and lower pairs if an ace or a king hit... I just can't see this ever getting a better hand to fold on the flop.

Also, although mixing it up a bit is a good idea in theory, this requires that people are paying attention.

Also, in the future, I think people will just assume that a bet of half your stack is still a very strong hand, whether or not you do it with AK once. I can't see this move getting you all that much action in the future, and risks losing some value now.