Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 AM

Default River decision with two pair

Hi everyone. Long time, first time. Be gentle.

Borgata 10-20. Dream game. MP1 is a woman in her 30s. She's apparently a dealer in town somewhere. In the hour she's been at the table she's seen about 80% of the flops and a ton of rivers. She hasn't raised on any street in that time and is down about a rack. MP2 is a youngish guy. Loose passive, but will bet any pair or draw if it's folded to him on the flop and then call down if raised. All other players in the hand are loose passive.

I'm dealt T8o OTB. 4 limpers, I limp, blinds come along. 7 way flop. I normally fold T8o here, but I couldn't bear to sit out OTB against this field.

Flop 984 2 clubs
Checks to MP2, who bets. I raise. BB, MP1, MP2 all call. My thought at the table was to try and get heads up with MP2. Given the flop and looseness of the table, that might have been a stupid idea. At the time the raise seemed clear, but now calling and folding both seem like options.

Turn: T red (7.5 BB)
Checked to me, I bet. All 3 call. Nobody came alive so I'm probably good, unless there's a scared T9 out there.

River: K no flush (11.5 BB)
Checked to me, I bet. BB calls, now MP1 (the woman) CRs, MP2 folds. The pot is 15.5 bets. She's certainly capable of playing K9, K8, or K4 suited. Can I fold this?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re: River decision with two pair

no, never, just call
Old 11-08-2007, 05:00 AM

I can't see how T8 is good here even 7% of the time. It's probably not good 3% of the time. I think it's a pretty clear fold.

If:
a) BB had folded and it was HU, I might cry and call
b) if I had shown a propensity to make tight laydowns and felt she was tricky/thinking enough to put in a c/r in hopes that I'd do it again, I might cry and call

But look at the hand from her perspective. You raised the flop, bet the turn into a field, and bet the river on a KT98 board. There was a call, now she checkraises to get paid off by two players in a big pot. She couldn't be screaming QJ any louder if she tried. Live female players in my experience love to slowplay the nuts on the turn and lay the hammer down when they've trapped their pray.

Not that she can't have KT or a set here too. But she does NOT expect you to fold, and she doesn't expect BB to fold either. She isn't value betting 1 pair. So if she isn't value betting a worse hand, and she isn't bluffing, what does that mean? It means she's got the goods. Like, all the time. Save the big bet.

There are lots of spots like this where we make good value bets on the river, but find out we're beat. We should be bet/folding in these spots when we don't have a hand that can withstand a c/r. This is a situation that fits. Bet/fold. If you absolutely can't fold to a river raise, then check behind. But I prefer b/f to check here because a lot of one pair hands will have to pay off.

In this spot in this situation, tens up is in the same vicinity as one pair vs. a river c/r. If you're bet/folding AK, you should be bet/folding T8.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 AM

you framed the question to get the answer that you wanted.

middle aged loose passive ladies dont put this raise in with anything you beat ever.

if the other guy between you folded, you'd call. but even against a more aggressive (but not maniacal) player, your hand is basically never good.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 AM

1.) I fold pre-flop but I don't totally hate the call.
2.) I just fold the flop. The field is huge and you have a [censored] pair.
3.) As played, the turn is fine and I fold the river. No way you are winning.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM

With 7 loose passives to the flop, any 8-9, 9-10, 10-j type flop has got to create a nice draw for someone. These flops w/two suited, means you are always gonna get chased to the river, & often get beat. If "she hasn't raised yet" and finally does, you've got to figure you're beat. You're only ahead of the K hands you mention, 98s, or an even worse limped 9-4, 8-4. Fold the flop!

If you were positioned so that your raise could have made opposition face two bets cold, your idea to get heads up would have much better chance of success. With the crowd you describe, they're not going anywhere for one bet. Save your raises for when they will knock players out or you expect value if unimproved.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2.) I just fold the flop. The field is huge and you have a [censored] pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best play. Although the guy to my immediate right bet allowing me to face the field with 2 cold, no one is folding and the likely scenario is 4 players on the turn and me with second pair bad kicker.

[ QUOTE ]

3.) As played, the turn is fine and I fold the river. No way you are winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I folded the river for the reasons most people gave. BB called and the woman showed AK for the win.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:00 PM

If the board was less draw heavy, I wouldn't mind check raising the last player but not in this case.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM

very large pot, bad opponent, weird action, has to be a call. i try not to make hero folds against weirdbad players in large pots. against nitty regulars, sure, maybe.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I folded the river for the reasons most people gave. BB called and the woman showed AK for the win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think it's a good fold. Play this hand 30 more times and 28 times she'll show a better hand.