Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Why is \'chip dumping\' HU bad?

Why is chip dumping in a HU game considered cheating? What's wrong with it?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Why is \'chip dumping\' HU bad?

Well, for one, it's an excellent way to launder money.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 PM

What is chip dumping? Is it purposely building a big pot, then folding to "give" away the money to the other player?

If so, then Khaos4k is right, "it's an excellent way to launder money," and should therefore be considered an improper act that the site should try to identify and prevent.

After all, there are more legitimate ways to transfer money to another player without having to make it "appear" as if it were "lost" in a poker game.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Yup an example with $100 stacks would be Player A raises to 99.95, Player B moves in for $100 total, and Player A folds.

Great way to get your account suspended.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:48 PM

Chip dumping is also an issue in tournaments
Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup an example with $100 stacks would be Player A raises to 99.95, Player B moves in for $100 total, and Player A folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
This brings up an interesting question for me.

I was once in satellite for $200 buyin Sunday tourney. There were three players left (me included). The payout was 2 seats and third was about $180. For some reason, I decided that I wanted the money rather than the seat (there are no tourney dollars at this site).

So I told my two villains that I wanted third. They were naturally suspicious (I was actually chip leader). The blinds were still fairly low so I said I could either sit out and you guys can spend the next half hour stealing my blinds or I could basically dump my chips and save them time (which I did).

I am hoping this doesn't qualify as cheating. I haven't heard from the site administrators (it was actually at Absolute a few months ago).
Old 11-08-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is chip dumping in a HU game considered cheating? What's wrong with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. But in anything other than HU games it's obvious why it's not allowed.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:49 PM

As long as you didn't give any indication that you didn't want to win until it was 3 handed, I think its morally ok, but technically wrong. (in other words I wouldn't object as a player if I was in the tournament with you, but if I was a site operator I wouldn't like it).

Goofy one though - from my experience its something you see all the time in a B&M setting where its alot easier to fake a tournament ending than online.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This brings up an interesting question for me.

I was once in satellite for $200 buyin Sunday tourney. There were three players left (me included). The payout was 2 seats and third was about $180. For some reason, I decided that I wanted the money rather than the seat (there are no tourney dollars at this site).

So I told my two villains that I wanted third. They were naturally suspicious (I was actually chip leader). The blinds were still fairly low so I said I could either sit out and you guys can spend the next half hour stealing my blinds or I could basically dump my chips and save them time (which I did).

I am hoping this doesn't qualify as cheating. I haven't heard from the site administrators (it was actually at Absolute a few months ago).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see a problem but I don't understand why you had to dump anything. There's just 3 left and 1st and 2nd pay the same. If everyone agrees that you'll take 3rd then there's nothing left for the other 2 to play for. Game over.

edit: I guess since it was online you had to at least continue play until down to 2 so your only choice was to dump? But it's still a deal between all parties so if thats what you needed to do to get the deal consummated then thats what you do.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:58 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Well, for one, it's an excellent way to launder money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and there's no real need to if you're looking for an honest way to send money from one person to another on a site--just transfer the funds normally.