Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: my last post about this ever i promise.

i'll say quit your job, because that's what you want people to say.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:43 AM

b/f imo
Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'll say quit your job, because that's what you want people to say.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2007, 12:32 PM

i quit my job as a lawyer 18 months ago to play poker. i really feel like i made the right decision. even though i went to law school for five years and spent two years working, i found my line of work excruciating and i pretty much hated life.

i am definitely burning bridges in the sense that my legal career is going to be pretty much dead in a few years. but one difference between me and you i guess is that i was a really lazy student, and i found the work so boring that i was lazy at my job too and likely would have been a very modest achiever in the legal world if i stuck with it, so i dont really think i was giving up as much in terms of potential earnings.

from a quality of life perspective there is no comparison. i still wake up and laugh at how good ive got it. getting paid 20k a month to play a game and pretty much do whatever i want. it really is a fairytale existence for me.

at the end of the day though its up to you. some ppl are better suited to play poker full time, and others just arent cut out for it and would be much better suited to a regular job. gl whichever way you choose to go.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't quit your job. it doesn't sound like you can just get back on the path you're on if you quit and poker doesn't work out (for any reason). i only agree with "going pro" if it doesn't burn too many bridges.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-27-2007, 12:59 PM

thanks for all the replies, this really is pretty tricky. one part of me thinks it would be a dream lifestyle (play 30 hours a week poker, earn loads, invest, earn more, go out whenever, play golf whenever, go on holiday whenever) but the other part of me imagines having a breakeven month or two, going to play at the tables and seeing no edge, thinking how much i'd [censored] myself over.

i remember back in january when i was really mulling over whether to accept the contract, or whether to ask them if i could defer. my problem then? whether online would still be profitable in september. if i'd know i'd of killed the game from late sept-late oct, i'd of definitely asked to defer.

i will ask them to see if i can defer, the only problem is for them is a) it looks pretty bad what id be asking to do and b) there is no guarentee i'd go and work for them anyway and c) they hold all the cards, they owe me nothing.

i do agree with the sentiment of not burning bridges, but when the bridge is leading to a life of boredom, i think it could be worth burning. but if it leaves me on a island of under-achievement if poker goes badly, then it [censored] me over.

thanks for all the replies, ive read them all and appreciate them all. i'll go ask them on monday/tuesday about possibility to defer. i assume being honest would be best here, saying that i have a really good opportunity to make myself very financially secure and i would like a year to give it a try. they v.likely say '[censored] off, you have only been here 2 weeks' but worth a try i guess.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:10 PM

You're 23? I'm 23 and most of us aren't prepared to do what you're trying to do.

If you're questioning yourself then you're not ready to take the leap. Take a couple more years and reassess. I'm thinking along your lines, but in a different country.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also part of me thinks, well, if i can play a 1-2 evenings a week, a day in the weekend, ill hopefully be winning a decent amount.

but then i really do not like having a job at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is huge, you might be able to do 1/2 of the poker hours you would without the job and still maintain the great opps and avoid poker burnout
Old 10-27-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for all the replies, this really is pretty tricky. one part of me thinks it would be a dream lifestyle (play 30 hours a week poker, earn loads, invest, earn more, go out whenever, play golf whenever, go on holiday whenever) but the other part of me imagines having a breakeven month or two, going to play at the tables and seeing no edge, thinking how much i'd [censored] myself over.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth I definitely only see it as a quality of life quest except that I admit I'd like the security but more that housing costs are astronomical where I live. Other than that I live a fairly frugal lifestyle and generally have no wish to spend boat loads of cash. If I could do anything for the rest of my life earning 80k (not much thought has gone into this figure) a year but love the lifestyle it gave me then I'd look no further. I'm just not sure that poker fits the lifestyle bill for me.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:28 PM

As said before everyone is different but ive done your route ( how long is how quickly you get fed up with the mudane drag of it all )and its ok for a while.
However the freedom to do as you please outways security in my book . You are 23 you can always get back on the ladder if you need to.
On the other side freedom etc is fair fair better appreciated after doing the job "thing" day after day
Good luck with your choice def a tough one