Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Re: $2k push-up Prop bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i could do 1000 in 2 hours, maybe an hour and a half

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it, but of course there are people like 'NO WAY MAN' Now just get yourself some action.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone who ever saw me would never take the bet anyway, im like 6 2 220 of muscle. i would just do 50 sets of 20 reps with a minute of rest or so in between sets. now whether i could do it in an hour, that would be a pretty neutral EV bet for someone

[/ QUOTE ]

A push up is pressing about 30-40% of your body weight, right? It can get tricky because unless you train like that, ridiculously hi rep work can destroy you, hence the need for rest. Even being super strong and doing low rep max-out work doesn't = proficiency in super hi volume work.

1000 in an hour is a great bet because it's really hard to believe somebody can do it no matter how strong they look, plus it's really hard for the lifter to believe they CAN'T do it if they regularly do low to mid rep work. Both parties can be in for a surprise.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm to understand that no one here has brought up the massive strain on the lower back that 2k push ups in 24h would create? If you are in any kind of bad shape, you are going yo spend the $2.000 and some on chiropractics after the score is settled. $25k is my price for 1500 in 24h

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why a push up is actually a great ab workout as well. You're tightening your mid section prevent the back strain. I think an out of shape guy would have muscle failure way before any back strain.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM

Sorry to update this thread so late but ive been on somewhat of a mini bender last couple days. As Irieguy said I made 658 and quit. I was having trouble even doing 4-5 pushups without a pretty big break in between and I didnt want to get to 900 or so and not make it so I quit... lame I know, Im still glad I tried it.

As far as soreness the next day I wasnt in as bad shape as I was expecting. Shampooing my hair hurt a bit but the pain went away pretty quickly as a started drinking and what not. I think taking a lot of Advil during and pussying out hours early helped a lot. I also stretched pretty regularily throughout.

A huge prop bet just went down on the putting green btw, I think details are coming in a seperate thread... poor chudd....
Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Apathy,

What did you guys count as a qualifying pushup?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:45 PM

lolz, i could do 658 in an hour and 3 minutes.

Prop bet me.