Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Anyone Been to a GG ALLIN show?

Ok: I have read about this guy and seen some footage. Apparently, some lady was kissing him after he ate his own turd.

Questions:

1. Was this all an act? Or did he have artistic integrity? Or, perhaps, was this just a byproduct of his increasing drug usage?

2. What was the atmosphere of the show like? Were people there just to see a freak show, or did they share Allin's "vision" of pure rock-n-roll?

3. Why did you go to the show? What things did the audience do, how did they interact with Allin.

4. Was the show good? Did you like the music.

** I am not sure why I am so interested in this, but I guess I have a morbid sense of curiosity. Often times, as time passes, accounts of events get distorted and exaggerated. However, it seems that this guy was the real deal. I just wanted to hear from someone who had first-hand knowledge of his act and why it appealed to them.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Anyone Been to a GG ALLIN show?

Springer appearance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LvZd_9aMU

Lots of performance video on Youtube as well.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Springer appearance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LvZd_9aMU

Lots of performance video on Youtube as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that guy is incredibly nuts. I don't understand how he wasn't in jail longer.
Never heard of him before.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Back in the mid-late 80's, I was in my teens, living in a sub of Boston and playing guitar. I was into metal and played with lots of different people, recorded demo's, played/hung out in rehearsal spaces for endless hours etc. etc.

One of the guys I played with knew GG and had hung out with him. After one visit to GG's "compound" he brought back a videotape that he shared.

The tape was basically a "hard-core Jackass" episode. Lots of drugs, rants/screeds, various acts of violence (mostly self-directed), some music performances, bodily fluids & fecal matter exchanges, and one brief, guy on guy BJ where GG had tied his friend to a tree (friend did not object) and after beating him for a while, he very briefly put the guy's penis into mouth.

I was fairly shocked/disgusted by the video and did not get why people were so into GG. Some time later I met GG during an informal party (alchohol+drugs+music=party) at a rehearsal space. He seemed like a nice guy. But, definitely very weird.

Long story semi-short, to answer your original questions, everything you saw with GG was 100% real. Even though I was not into his music or his lifestyle, I respected his integrity. He absolutely and totally lived the life he represented.

I do think the music was secondary and that his lifestyle, both personally and at his shows, was what attracted most people.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:26 PM

A good documentary on this guy is Hated .
Old 02-25-2007, 08:21 PM

That Springer clip is ridiculous. And hilarious because every time he comes close to making a rational argument, he says the craziest [censored]: calling himself God, saying that it depends if he gets to the door first (raping a girl trying to leave).
Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. It seems that he was the same on and off the stage.

I read that he said something to the effect that he only performed to get money to pay his hospital bills, jail fines, and for drugs.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Back in the mid-late 80's, I was in my teens, living in a sub of Boston and playing guitar. I was into metal and played with lots of different people, recorded demo's, played/hung out in rehearsal spaces for endless hours etc. etc.

One of the guys I played with knew GG and had hung out with him. After one visit to GG's "compound" he brought back a videotape that he shared.

The tape was basically a "hard-core Jackass" episode. Lots of drugs, rants/screeds, various acts of violence (mostly self-directed), some music performances, bodily fluids & fecal matter exchanges, and one brief, guy on guy BJ where GG had tied his friend to a tree (friend did not object) and after beating him for a while, he very briefly put the guy's penis into mouth.

I was fairly shocked/disgusted by the video and did not get why people were so into GG. Some time later I met GG during an informal party (alchohol+drugs+music=party) at a rehearsal space. He seemed like a nice guy. But, definitely very weird.

Long story semi-short, to answer your original questions, everything you saw with GG was 100% real. Even though I was not into his music or his lifestyle, I respected his integrity. He absolutely and totally lived the life he represented.

I do think the music was secondary and that his lifestyle, both personally and at his shows, was what attracted most people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, what kind of venues booked him?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:10 PM

His earlier stuff with The Jabbers was fantastic. I can't get into that later stuff. Ffunny story though - I lived in LA in the early 80s when I was a young kid, and I remember my mom, who was a hardcore christian at the time, telling me horror stories about GG Allin. Years later, I guess I got the names confused and thought she had said Kenny G. I remember seeing him on SNL when I was 12 or 13 and being amazed that this clarinet player ate his own [censored]/etc.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:44 PM

I don't know about earlier in his career. But, by the late 80's he was appearing in small rock/punk clubs.